Help one sick chick. And now noticed all the other healthy acting have blue/grey eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kendratn, May 15, 2018.

1. Kendratn

Kendratn In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2017
    what do I do? I have 15 chicks all acting healthy but now have blue/grey eyes. They did not hatch this way. Mareks Disease is what I’m reading. But do I have to euthanize all these checks even though they’re acting healthy? Someone please give me advice

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How old are these chicks? Do you have a history of Marek's in your flock? Is Marek's in any flock near where you live? Are these chicks from a private breeder or hatchery?

Even if it is Marek's, there's no guarantee they will get sick and die. If it's a mild form, they may never have symptoms beyond the eye color. So, no, don't jump to the conclusion that you need to cull them all.

3. Kendratn

Kendratn In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2017
    They are 10
    Weeks. I did take in a sick hen but didn’t know it. But the owner took her back and said allergies. And says she’s doing fine. I had her in my coop for two days. It’s been a week and I found a sick chick yesterday. This chick is paralyzed but I’m trying to help and if I hold it it can eat and drink. But I contacted her again and she confirmed her hen is fine. I have been busy with the sick chick. So I just went and looked all 15 chicks now have the blue/grey eyes and I know for a fact I had some with solid chocolate brown eyes. But even they have changed. But all
    Acting normal

Attached Files:

4. Kendratn

Kendratn In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2017
    Oh I love my chickens. And I have not heard of Mareks around but I do
    Have blue eyes chicks that weren’t that way and a very sick chick:(

5. Kendratn

Kendratn In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2017
    My sick chick. Second day. At first could not bend and is having what looks like Seizures

Attached Files:

6. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your chicks are of the age when Marek's symptoms can first begin to appear. It's possible the sick hen was a Marek's carrier. Not all chickens with these avian viruses get sick and die. Some will become symptomatic from time to time when under stress and then recover. Meanwhile, they can transmit the virus to other chickens and even shed the virus on the soil, and later chickens can pick up the virus since Marek's is quite long-lived in the environment.

Try not to panic. It's possible your chicks, then ones who are acting normal, may not become sick. But if they were exposed to Marek's they are now carriers.

7. Kendratn

Kendratn In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2017
    Thank you so much for helping me. I do not sell my chickens. I just love them. And I hate that I did this to them. So from now on all my chickens will be carriers? I breed from my own stock to replace what wildlife claims for they free roam. Will I cause a local epidemic? Sorry but I have to ask and I don’t want to be that person. I can pen if that’s the case

8. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, if your chicks have been exposed to Marek's they are carriers for life, shedding the virus into the environment. The virus can be carried on the wind, tracked around the neighborhood on the soles of your shoes, and even on a borrowed lawn mower if you lend it to a neighbor.

I have an avian virus in my flock, and I certainly don't want it getting into someone else's flock. So I practice biosecurity. I never wear the shoes I wear to care for my chickens anywhere except in the run and my grounds. I don't rehome any chickens or sell hatching eggs.

If you have neighbors with chickens dow wind from you, you might let them know so they can get their chickens vaccinated. At least Marek's has a vaccine. Most other avian viruses have none.

9. Kendratn

Kendratn In the Brooder

Aug 26, 2017
    Thank you so
    Much. Do you know how long if even my blue eyed chicks might present with illness? Is it odd only one has paralysis. Not that I want anymore sick. Just wondering what I need to be watching for. And is the blues eyes since didn’t have a birth a fact? Sorry to keep
    Asking I guess I’m hoping for it not to be

10. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Ocular Marek's presents with blue eye color. So it's a fact. But it depends on an individual's immune system whether or not they will be able to develop resistance. Many do, and chicks have a window during the first two weeks when they are developing antibodies against lots of pathogens. If the chicks were exposed during this window, there's a good chance they can develop resistance.

I feed my flock fermented feed to maximize their nutrition and health. I keep a very clean coop and run so they are exposed to minimal bacteria. Most of my flock have developed resistance. The virus they carry is lymphotic leucosis. My oldest hens are six, seven, eight, nine, and ten years old, as well as a younger crew. So have an avian virus isn't always a death sentence.

If one of these chicks should die, you could get a necropsy, and that would confirm whether it died of Marek's or something else entirely.

ChickNanny13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: