HELP. only day 18 and egg cracked........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlady08, Jul 13, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am in need of fast advice. I have a broody hen that has been on some eggs and this is day 18. I am not sure if the other hens cracked the egg of if the chick cracked it. the baby is alive and I can see it move around. The membrane looks to be solid and I am scared of what to do. I brought the egg inside and have a heating pad wrapped around it. The hole is pretty large. It was small but when I picked it up the pieces fell away. I also see blood so I know it is not ready to come out just yet. I had a chick hatch last Wednesday on day 18 so I know that they can come before day 21.

What can I do? Do I seperate the Momma and put the egg under her or do I keep it. I am so scared and am about to cry because the last time the baby did hatch to early and it didn't absorb the yoke completely and i had to cut it because it was just hanging out of him. I surely don't want to lose another one again.

Please help me and tell me what to do.

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] *bump*

3. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

**** bump again ****

4. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    sorry to tell you [​IMG] but you are not supposed to cut it off he will most likely die

5. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Update: the little chick has made it throught the night. My daughter took control and was up every 2 hours. We have it wrapped inside the heating pad and a wet towel is inside the pocket of the pad. Still think the membrane is intact. I pray for this little guy/girl to make it.

6. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I would have left it with the hen, she knows what she is doing.

Anytime i have any broody hens with eggs, I let them the hens hatch them and raise them. I don't even candle those eggs. I usually have 100% hatch rate when with a broody. So much better than the incubator.

I hope the little chick survives, best wishes [​IMG]

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    crazy chock I usually leave the eggs alone as well. But this one has nearly the whole side missing of shell so if I left it with the hen the other chickens would have killed it. thanks for the well wishes. I am still hopeful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by