Help or Not— Toddler Opened Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by canofstew, Jun 17, 2019.

1. canofstew

canofstew Chirping

Mar 14, 2013
    We’re at day 21. One chick hatched last night and knocked some of the eggs around. No worries there. This morning, My toddler climbed up and opened the bator, messed with egg and sponges, and this one was flipped, pip down. When I quickly reached in to flip it, that’s the size of the hole. Humidity dropped to 35% for less than 5 minutes. We had wonky heat for about 20. Do I help this little guy or let it be? I have added one drop of water into the membrane at the top.

Attached Files:

2. canofstew

canofstew Chirping

Mar 14, 2013
    Bumping. I really could use some advice! Chick is seeming stuck.

3. ShannonR

ShannonR Crowing

Sep 17, 2015
    Leave it for at least awhile. It probably isn't done absorbing the yolk yet

4. guineapeeps

guineapeeps Crowing

Feb 27, 2016
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Rather than just repeat a lot of detailed info here, I will just attach a few articles on assisted hatching that you can check out. They go into pretty specific details on the do’s and don’ts, so hopefully it will be helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

5. canofstew

canofstew Chirping

Mar 14, 2013
    I went ahead and helped it out. Yolk totally absorbed. Membranes were glued to his thigh/leg. Definitely would have died if left. Thanks!

6. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    For future reference, an application of oil is more helpful than water is, since it doesn't evaporate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: