1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP ordering Baby chicks right now

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by savilcr, Jan 26, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    Do I need to order any of these extras they offer?

QCC Quik Chik 4 oz - Get your chicks off to a good start with this combination of vitamins A, D, E, B-12 and electrolytes. More $3.95

BBC Broiler Booster 4 oz - Contains everything in Quick Chik PLUS biotin, which counteract weak legs and yield of stronger, healthier meat birds. More $7.95

GEL Gro-Gel Plus - Shipped with Poultry Orders - Immediate nutrition and hydration for all baby poultry in a very concentrated and digestible form. More $3.90

Vaccinate 25 chicks for Marek's Disease (baby chicks only). What is Marek's Disease? $3.75

Vaccinate 25 chicks for Coccidiosis (baby chicks only). (FEEDING MEDICATED FEED WILL NULLIFY COCCIDIOSIS VACCINE) What is Coccidiosis?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The only thing I would do on that list you have is vaccinate for Mareks.
    The other stuff, I probably wouldn't worry about.
    Just FYI-feeding medicated start won't nullify cocci-it will help prevent it though.
    Cocci is a disease that baby chicks(and some adults) can get from being raised on the ground(it's in the dirt) and can be fatal if not treated. I'm not exactly sure what it is other than some kind of parasitic thing.

3. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    I got Grow-Gel. Totally dumb. None of my super healthy 24 chicks touched it. Wasted.

Good luck!

4. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    I got 15 chicks on september 1 and I didn't order anything but the chicks and they are all healthy and well. (except one which died a few days after I got it.)

5. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    i read that mereks is not a concern with small flocks but I would probably do it anyway

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:+1

Though, I think its saying that feeding medicated starter will nullify the vaccine? Never heard that, but I agree with ETX, Mareks only.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:+1

Though, I think its saying that feeding medicated starter will nullify the vaccine? Never heard that, but I agree with ETX, Mareks only.

It would be so nice if I'd learn to read-you're absolutely right. [​IMG]

8. farmfresh

farmfresh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Independence
    In my opinion no .. at least not with a small flock.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

None of them, really, except if you really have doubts, you could get the Mareks vaccination. None of mine ever had Gro Gel, Quick Chick, vaccinations, nothing.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    None of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by