Help!!! Organizing my first flock swap in Orange County, NC

Country Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Orange County, NC
Hey y'all, hope you're having a sunny day! I have been trying for some time to find a flock swap in my area (N. Durham/Hillsborough, NC) but had no luck. The closest are several hours drive away. So, I called the local Southern States in Mebane and asked if they'd ever considered hosting one. By the end of the phone call, the manager was on board and I was elected to organize it! The fact that I haven't--yet--attended one is beside the point!

I'm super excited, but also a little anxious! The people part I'm not worried about. I have worked as president of a large organization and taken charge of major events before--everything from funerals to large fundraisers to food drives--but nothing that involved the care and swapping of live animals! Any tips, pointers, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

And for those who're local-ish, we are looking at Saturday, March 10th for the swap assuming the manager can get approval for then. I need to provide him with a flyer and info by Feb. 22nd, and then we'll hopefully be able to spread the word.

Here we go!

From the sound of the silence, I'm thinking I should research this and write up an article on it.
big_smile.png
Anybody have personal experiences, good or bad, with flock swaps they'd like to share?

well for one I would post this in the NC thread and Craig's list. But the ones I have been to are where you come and set up in an area. Make sure there is a place for buyers to park also. You'll have sellers and buyers show up through out the time you have set. Good luck. Having sold a few birds at one, most buyers don't bring something to put the animals in to take home ...so extra boxes to put the animals in is also nice and handy
wink.png

Last edited:
Great info! Thank you so much for helping me out. The parking lot is pretty big--like, the size of a Home Depot parking lot--do you think that will be enough space? Also, I've noticed flock swaps often have canopy type coverings for people to keep their birds under. Those seem like a good idea...do people just bring their own? Or am I expected to arrange for them? Or, does the store provide them? I feel like such a noob!

'Nother question. Do you think it would be a good idea to offer snacks or let people sell baked goods, etc.? I like the idea of doing this, but I don't know what the legalities are and I worry about sanitation with all the animals around. I could bring a Costco-size bottle of germex, if that seems like a good idea.

I really appreciate any thoughts or advice on this!

Modified--cause I have one more question!
big_smile.png
Do people usually sell birds and chicks at these, or is it just a swap and barter thing with no money exchanged?

Last edited:
I am located in Person County, so I won't be too far away and will definitely keep an eye out to attend! If you need any help let me know, take this over to the NC state thread definitely, HenThymes can definitely help you out, shes had experience organizing the big Carolina Chickenstock.

Just go over there on the thread (see you were there awhile ago) and ask if anyone is nearby, and ask for advice. You can't move the thread, but why not copy and paste it there? I can do that for you, and ask for some advice on what's needed to set up, etc...

One that I went to did sell snacks. None I've been to had a canopy. And most the time people buy or sell the animals. But some do trade. That size parking lot would be great. When you do flyer's, remind people to bring water and food for the animals while they wait to be sold. The last one I was at, had a guy that sold jewelry made from his birds feathers. Sorry, your a bit far for me to go, but good luck
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, guys. This is sounding pretty doable. Silly, but I was worried that I was supposed to supply canopies...even though I wouldn't expect someone else to provide that were I to bring birds to a flock swap! Good news on the snacks--I think that kind of thing helps draw in people who aren't expecting to buy birds but will go home with them anyway.
big_smile.png

Now I'll scoot back over to the NC thread, and see what's happening!

Back
Top Bottom