help! other birds eating chicken food

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by momofet, Aug 31, 2009.

1. momofet

momofet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Hello!
    I'm having a problem with other birds (ie: doves) eating the food I leave out for my chickens. My chickens are not cooped up and so they are able to roam free.

How do I keep these birds away. Apparently my chickens do not chase them away...guess they are afraid of them.

Any suggestions???

Thanks.

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    First let me say [​IMG]!! Good to have you! Now do you have the food outside of the coop? If so why? LOL no need to keep food outside the coop since your birds are free ranging. Let them go inside to eat. Keep fresh water available outside. [​IMG]

3. momofet

momofet Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion...however...I have tried to put the food inside the coop, but the birds still strut right inside of it and help themselves to the food. Am I supposed to keep the coop closed during the day when the chickens are out?

I'm very, very new to this as this is my first time with chickens and appreciate all the help I can get.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    No, do not keep the coop closed during the daytime. Do your chickens come back to the coop at all during the daytime? If they do not then put the food in there when they go to roost at night and go into lock-down. Do you have just a few birds go inside or hundreds? I have a few go inside but not that many, I mean you just don't see a marked decrease in food. I scatter some cracked corn for the chickens sometimes but only a couple handfuls and have never had birds come down on the ground with the chickens to eat it. Maybe it is where I live?? You could have a different situation where you are at? Keeping my fingers crossed that someone will come up with an answer for you.

5. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Doves are notorious hogs, and once they find a food source, they will be there in force. I am surprised that the chickens tolerate them. Mine will chase wild birds and even squirrels away from their outside water bowl (just a giant dog bowl---they have a chicken waterer inside their run).

Their food is inside a covered (roofed) run, and I've never seen wild birds or squirrels inside there. Maybe the best thing to do is remove the food while the chickens are outside ranging, and then feed them on a schedule rather than free choice. You can remove the food when they are finished. Maybe the doves will then leave for greener pastures.

Good luck

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    momofet Welcome to Byc.

I have some of my birds free range ( the roos) not the hens.
    they do go to the coop for feed and water and at night to roost.
    is there a bird feeder near by.that would be teaching the doves ..
    I too have never had birds come down. but then
    we have 3 cats running around and they never bother the chix but birds they will. LoL

Hi ozark hen,havent seen U on in a while.
    how goes the world of chx.
    Sissy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by