Help! Our bantam rooster is getting frisky with 20 week old pullet...!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by winekntrychicks, Sep 10, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Okay, this really sounds silly, but we (My niece and I) are not liking this rooster's frisky business. We feel really sorry for our pullet, Eagle, because she acts as if she is not receptive to his affection. She seemed very upset, for she was hanging her head and hiding under her coop-mate's feathers. But, it seems as though our rooster, Bo, feels that Eagle's ready to mate. How can we let nature take it's course without having Eagle so upset? Is this typical pullet mating behavior? Can we get Bo to leave her alone until she's ready? How do we even know she's ready?

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    That's just the way it goes. I've noticed that roos may even be rougher on the young pullets until they learn to submit. She will be o.k. 20 weeks old is about the right age.

3. Denali (Auntie's Shadow)

Denali (Auntie's Shadow) Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Probably drawing!
    I'm Winekntry's niece, and we thank you for the info. We were just really worried, but we'd like to see what others think too. It's our first flock, and we are learning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by