Help our chickens almost died a hawk!

youtubeminer

Chirping
Jul 1, 2015
I heard my rooster screaming like crazy and my dad saided go and check if the hen layed a egg then, all three rooster screamed the hawk swooped down they saw me then they ran to me and took cover the hawk swooped down again then the horror of the chickens stop my dad when out to check the chicken coop then they ran to the coop scared the hawk was as cooper hawk, then my dad said Hawks can't kill chickens when their big and hawk kill baby chicks than big chicken then my dad said the rooster will kill the hawk but the rooster were scared luckily the white rooster likes me for saving its life so is it true and why this happen now?

i don't know about coopers hawks but a redtail hawk definitely can kill an adult chicken. as for why now there is no reason why not now. the problem will likely get worse this winter when food is scarce.

Quote: Part of the reason could be, depending on where you live, now is the start of hawk migration. As they are migrating and out of their territories, they're looking for food where ever they can get it and if you're in their flight path, be doubly cautious.
I know some people lock up their poultry during this time.

I heard my rooster screaming like crazy and my dad saided go and check if the hen layed a egg then, all three rooster screamed the hawk swooped down they saw me then they ran to me and took cover the hawk swooped down again then the horror of the chickens stop my dad when out to check the chicken coop then they ran to the coop scared the hawk was as cooper hawk, then my dad said Hawks can't kill chickens when their big and hawk kill baby chicks than big chicken then my dad said the rooster will kill the hawk but the rooster were scared luckily the white rooster likes me for saving its life so is it true and why this happen now?

Sorry that happened to you! Sounds very frightening. Luckily your flock is okay. I read that hawks are only successful about 10% of the time. Cooper's hawks can kill large chickens but are not able to fly off with a large chicken. They feed on birds like robins and jays. Others may have suggestions on deterring hawks. I have been supervising my hens as we have Cooper's hawks in our neighborhood.

Last edited:
Sorry that happened to you! Sounds very frightening. Luckily your flock is okay. I read that hawks are only successful about 10% of the time. Cooper's hawks can kill large chickens but are not able to fly off with a large chicken. They feed on birds like robins and jays. Others may have suggestions on deterring hawks. I have been supervising my hens as we have Cooper's hawks in our neighborhood.

From my experience here in Kenya it is the smaller hawks that attack my chickens. Whilst they cannot fly away with them, they are very happy to eat them where they killed them - and they are happy to take both chicks and adults! We have lots of black kites here, which are significantly larger than the hawks, but they do not bother the chickens - in fact the chickens are not alarmed when they seem the kites!

Now every hour a pack of crows come can crow keep Hawks away is this right crow can fight hawks?

Now every hour a pack of crows come can crow keep Hawks away is this right crow can fight hawks?

I think it's more a case that both crows and blue jays harass hawks so they prefer to go elsewhere. Chicken keepers in our neighborhood encourage jays and crows by putting out feeding stations for them.
I've heard they , too, can kill small chicks, but if you don't have babies or they are protected or kept under cover or with their mother and perhaps a flock rooster or two, this natural method of keeping hawks in check might be worth a try.

It happened again but the hawk had a member with them they tried to attck our chicken 4 times they are so lucky none died but really scared my dad says he is buying a bb gun is that good

Back
Top Bottom