HELP!! OUR CHICKENS HAVE STOPPED LAYING

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cencor, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Cencor

Cencor Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi everyone we have two pens one with black silkies 14hens two cockerals they werw layimg 5a day (pretty good for winter) then we have a pen of 12 mixed orpington hens with 2 cockerals we were getting 9eggs a day includimg two olive eggs that had been regular as clockwork.
    My partner made the silkie pen bigger that was four days ago.we havent had an egg since. And in the last week the orpis have gone from 9-5-3-1 we thought a hen qas going broody and takimg over one of the nest boxes (we have three but they all prefer to lay in this one) so we moved her when we wherw sure she.waant broody.
    They take turns in free ranging and are out at least four times a week. They are fed layers mash mixed with corn and wheat.were in the uk and have been hit with pretty bad wet weather (altough there coops are dry its impossible at the moment to keep the runs dry could this be the reason.
    Any ideas

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks a lot started laying again but funny still no green eggs oh well

4. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

This happened to my barred rocks when we switched out their old nest boxes for pretty new ones.

5. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Typical when you do something nice lol thunk it may have been the weather that they stopped laying not sure how to encourage the others tho

6. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Since they free range part of the day, do you think they may have found a "new best place" to lay their eggs? Are they or have they been moulting?

7. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    No because its on an allotment an we havent come across anything an no one seems to be moulting its a mystery

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by