Help! Our favorite chicken is sick..I think an egg broke inside her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poulet2016, Dec 31, 2016.

1. poulet2016

poulet2016 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Our favorite girl has ben hanging in the nesting box a lot today- she wasn't sitting, just standing in there just now. Seems lethargic and wouldn't eat anything I offered her. When she finally got out and moved around, I saw what looked like a small pile of egg white in the nesting box and saw some hanging out her back end. Has an egg broken inside her? I have been trying to look at what to do and it all seems like this is a very bad situation. Give her a warm bath in epsom salt? Bring her inside? Treat it like she is egg bound? Give her calcium! Help! I am a newbie and this is our first big problem. She's my kids' favorite (and mine too!!)

thanks,
    Val

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Pics of her vent?

3. poulet2016

May 31, 2016
    I couldn't get a pic of her vent- trying to hold her and snap a pic was impossible! But I did get her to soak in some warm water with epsom salt for 10 minutes at the advice of a chicken owning neighbor. I looked and felt inside her vent (just a tiny bit) and it looked okay- this is what was hanging out it though which I got out in her bath. Her eggs are that same green color.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I got her wrapped in a towel and dried off a bit and she's now in a crate with soft shavings and a bowl of water and food- she was not interested in the food but seemed very thirsty. She seems perkier than she was outside but maybe that is just being in a new environment. She's in a warmish bathroom right now.

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Alright i would soak her every day for 15 min.It appears part of her oviduct got messed up.Do you provide calcium?Keep her isolated until she gets better with water and food.Eggs and tuna on occasion.

5. poulet2016

May 31, 2016
    Thank you! I don't provide additional calcium because I feed them layer feed- at the feed store they only told me to provide oyster shells if we got thin shells. They all have been pretty thick feeling shells when I crack them. Unfortunately everything will be closed tomorrow but I could get some Monday. Do you recommend crumbling up a tums and feeding it to her? She seems completely uninterested in her food right now but is drinking. She also just had a normal looking poop in her crate, so I guess that is good news?
    Thanks again,
    Val

6. poulet2016

May 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    now she just passed this- it definitely looks like a very soft egg shell- so i am guessing she really needs calcium. she is drinking a lot..I will try giving her eggs soon.

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yep.Always provide Oyster shells.If your other chickens are laying you could give her crushed egg shells that has calcium.Try to give her Tuna and Eggs.
    You can give her tums.

Keep me Updated

Happy New Years

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  8. poulet2016

May 31, 2016
    Thank you so much- she seems better now she passed that last bit and is drinking a lot and eating a little bit. Will give her some eggs and or tuna and keep you posted. Happy New Year to you too!

9. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Glad she is doing better.[​IMG]

10. poulet2016

May 31, 2016
    This morning she seemed totally back to herself and very unwilling to stay in her crate so I could keep an eye on her- she was eating and drinking so finally I put her back out with the others. Hope it was not too soon but she seemed completely fine. I gave them all some tuna with some of their crushed shells sprinkled on it.
    Thanks again for your help yesterday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by