Help! Our gosling was born with curled up toes.

emelissajose

Hatching
Apr 25, 2019
185618B1-A302-4779-A4DD-CA78BC61B8E4.jpeg
Our Freya (American Buff goose) finally hatched her babies today and we noticed one gosling has curled up toes/foot and is scooting around on the front part of the foot with its front of ankle. This is our first time hatching and don’t know what is wrong with the baby or how to help. I bought poly vi sol and started the gosling with a dropper full. What else can I do? Thank for your advice in advance

Last edited:
Poly-vi-sol doesn't, to my recollection, contain much in the way of the B-vitamins. I'd start by purchasing b-complex injectable (you can give it orally) or b-complex tablets for humans.

Have you seen the site "poultry podiatry?"

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

It gives pretty good advice on braces and how to handle things like twisted feet. Also, if you post a picture, we might be able to offer some more specific advice.

You may have to separate him and another gosling (they don't do well alone) for treatment, and then pray that mum takes him back. But it's better than him having a twisted foot all his life.

In that link @sylviethecochin gave you it also gives info on shoes to help keep the feet in proper alignment till the little one can do it on it's own. Liquid B complex at TSC is great stuff 1 ml daily up until it's on its feet and walking normal. More than likely mamma will take it back But if not at least it will be on it's feet.

455E5A56-FDA6-4595-A44C-92E8A4CB27D5.jpeg
Poly-vi-sol doesn't, to my recollection, contain much in the way of the B-vitamins. I'd start by purchasing b-complex injectable (you can give it orally) or b-complex tablets for humans.

Have you seen the site "poultry podiatry?"

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

It gives pretty good advice on braces and how to handle things like twisted feet. Also, if you post a picture, we might be able to offer some more specific advice.

You may have to separate him and another gosling (they don't do well alone) for treatment, and then pray that mum takes him back. But it's better than him having a twisted foot all his life.

Back
Top Bottom