Help! Our gosling was born with curled up toes.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by emelissajose, Apr 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. emelissajose

emelissajose Hatching

Apr 25, 2019
    185618B1-A302-4779-A4DD-CA78BC61B8E4.jpeg Our Freya (American Buff goose) finally hatched her babies today and we noticed one gosling has curled up toes/foot and is scooting around on the front part of the foot with its front of ankle. This is our first time hatching and don’t know what is wrong with the baby or how to help. I bought poly vi sol and started the gosling with a dropper full. What else can I do? Thank for your advice in advance

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Poly-vi-sol doesn't, to my recollection, contain much in the way of the B-vitamins. I'd start by purchasing b-complex injectable (you can give it orally) or b-complex tablets for humans.

Have you seen the site "poultry podiatry?"

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

It gives pretty good advice on braces and how to handle things like twisted feet. Also, if you post a picture, we might be able to offer some more specific advice.

You may have to separate him and another gosling (they don't do well alone) for treatment, and then pray that mum takes him back. But it's better than him having a twisted foot all his life.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Thinking Riboflavin deficiency; Poly Visol without iron, Vitamin B Complex, Nutri Drench, foods rich in riboflavin (eggs, ground raw almond, beef liver, fortified cereals, etc)

sylviethecochin
    gave you a great link for more information

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

In that link @sylviethecochin gave you it also gives info on shoes to help keep the feet in proper alignment till the little one can do it on it's own. Liquid B complex at TSC is great stuff 1 ml daily up until it's on its feet and walking normal. More than likely mamma will take it back But if not at least it will be on it's feet.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

24 hours makes a difference in Birds. It should find its feet.
    Leave it under Momma and wait.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    2x

7. emelissajose

emelissajose Hatching

Apr 25, 2019
    609DB829-2D16-46B2-9BEC-878CC870CC03.jpeg 84076183-0343-4222-AE53-2A71A8C73F77.jpeg Thank you everyone.. I bought niacin and liquid b vitamin complex .. praying he/she gets better.. he’s such a cutie

ChickNanny13 and sylviethecochin like this.
  8. emelissajose

emelissajose Hatching

Apr 25, 2019
    I put back with mother after administering vitamins ... this is how he laying ☹️

Attached Files:

sylviethecochin likes this.
  9. emelissajose

emelissajose Hatching

Apr 25, 2019
    455E5A56-FDA6-4595-A44C-92E8A4CB27D5.jpeg

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Will it try and get up at all. I have seen many a duckling and gosling lay like that with their legs stretched back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: