1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help our Rooster "Braveheart" seems to be very sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Danielle S, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Danielle S

Danielle S New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    It's been about a week we noticed that he went through a molt and is still growing the feathers back, but he stopped crowing and started to stay away from the flock and started to act drunk and now he's lethargic. He can't stand up and he's very wobbly.

I quarantined him and brought him inside the house 2 days ago and feeding him vitamin water every other hour alternating with a mash of cooked egg yolk, honey, beef cat food, oatmeal, pinch of vitamin powder, and yogurt. He did well with the vitamin powder and honey at first, but doesn't seem to be getting any better.

He's about 3.5 years old, only rooster with 14 hens, The hens are molting and have stopped laying. He was dewormed with invectrum a week ago. What should I do now? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

What breed is he, and where did you get him? Some breeds, especially poor quality hatchery types, die at this age. Has he been into anything, or is anything stressful going on?

3. Danielle S

Danielle S New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    Not sure of breed but got him from a rescue farm. Not aware of any stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by