Help our shipment of chicks not doing well.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by whitehurst512, Mar 7, 2015.

1. whitehurst512

whitehurst512 New Egg

Mar 25, 2014
    We have ordered Chicks from a hatchery many different times (we live no where close to a hatchery) we've always had very good luck with never having any die on us. This time has been horrible!! First they sat at the usps for 18hrs before they then shipped them to the wrong location. When I finally find out where they are after a long run around its day 3 in transit and just over a hr away but can't get to me until Monday! *** these are living animals darn it! So I drove the 2hr round trip to get them. Not very many are alive:( I have been syringing water to them and keeping them warm with heat lamp. What else can I do a couple have come around very well but the few other are still weak. What can I feed them other than water and dry feed? Pedialyte? Sugar water? Please any help is appreciated!!

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Cackle suggests using sugar water mixed with the feed to help them. I have not had chicks shipped directly to me so I have to defer to the hatchery or others for advice as well.
    http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page14.html

It sounds like yours had a very rough start. I am hoping for the best for the ones you still have.

3. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    wow, so many threads about bad experiences with getting chicks shipped.

I'd worry about forcing water in them with a syringe, also make sure to notify the hatchery and let them know what happened

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I can commiserate with you. After receiving successful 100% live and healthy shipments last year's was a disaster. The prior year, chicks were shipped Monday around four and arrived at the post office and were picked up by 1 p m Tuesday.
    Last year, they shipped Monday, got lost and didn't arrive until Thursday. Meanwhile the temperatures plummeted while they were in transit. 25% were DOA. Thankfully the live ones all survived.
    Most important, keep them warm. Give sugar water. You can also try giving a drop at a time with an eye dropper. If they take that, you can add a little starter food to the water mixture and give by eye dropper, too.
    Hopefully they will become strong enough to eat on their own.
    With this year's weather and temperatures, this has been a miserable year for shipping. My husband picked up some when they first arrived at the feed store and despite getting them immediately into the brooder, we still had a 50% mortality rate.

5. whitehurst512

whitehurst512 New Egg

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions!! 90% were doa I have a couple that may make it but still unsure. I plan on calling the hatchery Monday. They should really have better protacals in place when shipping animals! This all could have been avoided if they would have shipped them to the right place or at least call me when they first realized they weren't at the right place! I could of picked them up way sooner if I knew they were there! No reason they sat on a shelf in the back of a post office and died! So disappointed with the uspo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by