HELP...our three RIR found the dog flap and are breaking into the sunporch, any ideas on how to trai

KMSonthecoast

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
Astoria, OR
HELP HELP...

I was given three hand raised RIR, they are just under one year old...it rains quite a bit here in OR and the girls are breaking into my sun porch!

They found out how the dog flap works and instead of going into their coop they are breaking into the sun porch to roost! They still go to their coop to lay eggs during the day and at night on their own to go to sleep but during the day they want inside...

How would you go about training them to stay out? They are very friendly and follow me around so I am out of ideas of how to keep them off the porch...

It might be a bit my fault because when I went out the first week I would toss scraps and treats to them as they free ranged so now they want me to come out...

I wonder if shaking a can full of rocks (like dog training) or spraying them with a water bottle (like cat training) might work?

We were also given two older hens who pick on these 3 younger girls so I am afraid they might be hiding in here....but they all seem pretty adjusted after a week together...and our yard is .33 acers so they don't have to free range close together if they don't want to...

If you still use the dog door, putting some weight on the bottom of the flap may make it too heavy for the chickens to lift, but still within the abilities of the dog to enter.

Chris

why not get a locking door there is a key in the collar that the unlocks the door unlock when ever he poch gets close

Great Ideas...I had them as well...

Two days ago we placed a weight on the bottom of the door by using trim boards and screwing it together on the bottom of the flap to add weight...anyhow the hens are still coming in by pushing on the sides!

The dog collar with remote would work but my cats use the flap as well and that is a bit too costly to get a collar for each cat...

I hate to have to pen up the girls due to this pet flap issue but I might not have a choice...

Back
Top Bottom