Help!! Out Of Food, Stores Closed ...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rebekah, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Rebekah

Rebekah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Burlington County, NJ
    We're going away for the holiday weekend, and just realized we're completely out of chicken feed. The feed stores are all closed for Thanksgiving, so I'm asking if there's a smart option that will last them for three days that I can pick up at the grocery store??

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

2. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    I'm no expert, and I may be totally off base here, but I would try: cornmeal, black oil sunflower seeds, fruits and veggies, tuna or chicken (canned) peanuts (unsalted) maybe some wild bird seed (similar to scratch) hard boiled eggs , oatmeal, cooked whole grains, etc.

3. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    All of the above sound real good. I've even popped them some popcorn before in a pinch. We shared treats that day! [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Cook up a big pot of rice too. and beans.

5. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

what kind of stuff do you know they like..mine still haven't figured out Black oil sunflower seeds..lol. do you have a neighbor that might pick some feed up for you tomorrow?

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Raisens. Hack open a pumpkin for them. A sudden change in diet like this will probably wring out their guts, so be prepared for some sick chicks when you get back!

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Mine love Tuna and cat food as a treat. I feed them Oatmeal and Peanut Butter that's their favorite. Soybean meal is suppose to be good for them, but I am not sure Walmart carries that.

Is there anyone around you that has chickens? Maybe they would sell you some feed.

Have you checked to see if any of our members live anywhere close to you, maybe one could help you out.

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Probably bread would be the easiest for them to digest if all these foods are a change in their diet.

Whole grain bread would provide some good nutrition and if you still only have 6 birds, maybe 3 or 4 loaves will get them thru, not be too expensive, and be easily found.

. . . just my 2ยข.

Steve

9. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    Walmart's open. They have laying crumbles and scratch.

10. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:not all walmart's sell chicken feed. the ones in my area don't and we're fairly rural.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by