HELP! OVER HALF OF FLOCK BLEEDING!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UrbanBYC, Dec 6, 2013.

1. UrbanBYC

UrbanBYC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    I came home today and checked on my chickens and 4/6 of them are bleeding from their comb area. They were locked up in their coop and I noticed that some had blood around their combs and head feathers. There isnt any evidence of any predator attack where they could have gotten in.

It was cold last night but not much below freezing. Most of their water froze and they were somewhat thirsty now (Dont know if they could be pecking each other because of that?). The only blood in the coop/run is where they would hit their heads around the water nipples or water can but otherwise I dont see where this could have happened. I didnt see any blood around their beaks though so Im not sure if they attacked each other or not.

I know I should probably separate them but I am not sure how. I have 6 chickens in one coop now. They seem to be acting pretty normal right now and are around each other like normal walking around now that I let them out to free range a bit. All six of them layed eggs today.

If it is below freezing tonight, could the ones that are/were bleeding be in any extra danger?
    If there is something I could do now to help them or to protect them form this happening again I would appreciate it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    think they did it to themselves trying to get water? vasoline on the combs is good for frost bite and you can use triple antibiotic on there combs too but make sure it does not have the pain reliever in it as this is toxic to chickens. i should restate that, vasoline is good to Prevent frostbite.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They probably pecked each other. Don't let them run out of water during the day time. Use rubber bowls, dump them at night when they go to roost, then fill them first thing in the mornings with warm water. Chickens will go into a molt if they are without water long, plus get dehydrated. I use an electric dog water bowl for water in the coop if they get up early before they are let out. These will run off 100 ft extension cords, and only come on when the water is near freezing, then go off when water is at 45 degrees.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  4. UrbanBYC

UrbanBYC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Thanks. I will need to heat the water in some way but this cold snap caught us suddenly. It hasnt been over freezing temp the whole day. I will try to treat them to night and bring their coop light closer to the water if that may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by