Help! Over heated limp chicken. pics added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wanttobefarmer, Aug 1, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    We live in south Texas and I think one of my Austrolorps has over heated. She is limp and un-responsive. We have her inside in the AC and have given her water but she's still un-responsive.

Any Ideas?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I just had one die from heat stress. I did not act fast enough. It is serious and they can die quickly.

Bringing her in was smart. You need to bring her temp down. Put her in some cool water.(Sink will work) It does not need to be deep. Make sure her head does not go under and dry her off with a towel. It is ok to leave a little wet. I would keep her inside until the temps cool later, even if she feels better.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Oh, no! This heat is awful.

Please update us with how she's doing.

4. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    We have put her in the sink and tried to cool her waddle and comb as well. We gave her a little sugar water and are keeping her inside.
    She seems to be a little more responsive.

Thank you so much for the advice we are very concerned.

Sorry for your loss.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Sounds like you caught her just in time. Let us know how it goes.

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I suppose you could add a dab of gatorade to the sugar mix.

7. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    She seems much more responsive but she's real wobbly on her feet if we try to get her to walk. Will this go away?

8. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Quote:What does she look like now? Does she seem to know what is going on around her?

It will most likely go away unless she had a heat stroke. Right now think positive. She is probably still just dizzy. Make sure she drinks. A little sugar in the water is good...but not too much. Let her rest and keep her as stress free as possible.

9. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    ok I took some pics. If i pick her up she will open her eyes and be more responsive. if left alone she sits like this with her eyes closed. I've given her prob one medium syringe full of water. shoul i give more? She is not drinking on her own. She is better in that she is in a sitting position and not just on her side. If I put my hand under her she can stand and I can prompt her up and forward and she will take small unbalanced steps. I'd also like to say that though she is a good chicken she is shy and usually doesn't let herself be handled. She also just laid this really huge egg and she is 5 months old.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    any ideas anyone? If it was heat stroke does that mean that she lost part of her motor skills? Mental skills? How long do I wait?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by