Help! Over run with chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelidei, Apr 9, 2009.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have 26 of them and they are brooding down in a basement hallway--- they are getting very adventurous. I do not want them to have the run of the entire basement--- it is a finished basement. They are 5 weeks old and pretty well feathered out. Would it be safe to move them to the coop with a couple of flat panel radiant heaters. I am in Northern Illinois so nights can still get down below freezing--- at least for a few more weeks. I have a perfectly good coop and chicken yard waiting for them and do not want to have to chase them around the basement anymore--- those little buggers are fast![​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    I am in the middle of middle TN and my chicks have been out for a week now I just make sure they have heat I would use a heat lamp that will not get knocked over or anything. If they are well feathered you dont have much to worry about.

3. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    If they are feathered you are fine. Put a light out there with them for those cold nights. Have fun with your chickens!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks you guys--- being that I am a new chicken mom I am a little nervous---so far the girls have done GREAT---- don't want to blow it by being too quick in moving them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by