1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help - panting injured don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoseCassFarm, Dec 13, 2013.

1. RoseCassFarm

RoseCassFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    I posted yesterday.

Nine month old buff orp was found limping day before yesterday. Brought her in - feels like her left leg is slightly swollen at the joint but hard to tell. Has been panting since yesterday but now doing it with eyes closed. Some of her poop was a littke green. Dont know uf that means anything. Was vaccinated for mareks as a chick.

Don't know what bis happening or what to do.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you been able to get her to eat/drink anything? Did you give her aspirin for possible pain? Panting with eyes closed and for a prolonged time,is not a good sign. If she has not eaten/drank,you might want to consider tube feeding her. Dark green poop usually means not eating. Try and hydrate her asap. Have you moved her to a cooler spot in case she is too warm?

No other issues,just her leg?

3. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    She's eaten on and off - she had some apple yesterday, some banana, sunflower seeds; today a little bit of grapes but not much water. So far it seems to just be the leg. I'm not aure how much she weighs and how much asprin to give. Ill try moving her to a cooler spot.

4. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    Should Add that the panting is on and off.

5. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    Her comb has been very red, too.

I got some water into her and she ate a couple of grapes. Now her crop is lighter than it was. Shes been turning away from her food dish every time I put it within her reach.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi RoseCassFarm [​IMG]
    I am no expert but I have had a similar experience. Is your run nice and dry or has weather caused it to be a little damp?
    I had my run in the wrong spot and it did not dry out quick enough after rain, causing it to remain damp which is a haven for Staphylococcus infection. Apparently if they get a small cut on their foot, Staphylococcus can move in.
    My girl had similar symptoms to yours, she started limping and I thought she must have hurt her leg. I couldn't see any injury but after a day or so the leg was warmer than the other one (infection setting in). I have read that it can take over pretty quickly and can cause breathing problems as it spreads.
    I started my girl on antibiotics but probably not soon enough as I was treating for injury not infection.
    Might be worth trying a course of antibiotics in her water?

7. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    Oo yikes!! The weather has gotten to it so that's a definite possibility. I'm not sure if the leg temps are different - ill have to check. What antibiotic did you use?

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hello again RoseCassFarm :)
    I could be wrong and I hope I am because I did not have any luck curing it. As I said, I was probably too late in starting the antibiotics. Even if I am wrong a course of antibiotics probably will not hurt. I could definitely feel that the leg in question was warmer than the other one and slightly swollen. I keep some Tetracycline on hand which I get from my local Produce Store. It is an Avian one.

9. RoseCassFarm

Mar 23, 2013
    Connecticut
    I don't know what's going on with her -- she's been panting on and off, not really eating or drinking, gave her some pedialyte two days ago and last night. I tried to give her some baby asprin, thinking that maybe she was in pain and that was why she was panting, but it hasn't changed anything. She's perked up slightly -- she's preening a bit, making some noises, but I'm afraid she aspirated a bit when I was giving her fluids. Still, she did perk up and actively trying to eat the applesauce I'd mixed with the pedialyte, so that's good. While I was giving her some fluids, I noticed a tiny yellowish-white spot on the inside of her beak.

I'm very new to chickens so I'm trying to do research as fast as I can and I'm just coming across fowl pox and canker. I'm wondering if she and my other buff orp have dry fowl pox -- I've noticed small black spots on their combs since late summer but didn't think much of it since they've been eating and drinking well (she's usually my piggy) and acting normal (aka crazy lol).

I know a vet visit is necessary but I want to be armed with information anyways. I just wish I knew what was going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by