Help! Paralysis and Lethargy in Pullet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by austinfarm, Jan 26, 2013.

1. austinfarm

austinfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    I purchased 12 BCM chicks last October. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. The chicks are around 14 weeks old now. About a week ago, I noticed the smallest pullet lying down all fluffed up. I figured she was just trying to stay warm. She was like that for a couple days. I tried to touch her and she got up and started limping really bad toward the feeder. I separated her and brought her back into the garage with a heat lamp. She could stand but she couldn't walk well and we looked at both her legs and couldn't see anything wrong with them. We figured maybe she sprained one of her legs or something. She has been inside for 2 or 3 days now and she can't stand at all and one of her legs is stuck straight out behind when she lays down. I can roll her on her back and move her legs and she just lays back and closes her eyes.
    She doesn't move either of her legs or toes. If I try to stand her up she falls on her face or on her wing or side and just lays there. She will eat and drink at least if I put it under her nose, but she seems sleepy. We looked on the internet to see if we could figure out what is wrong and unfortunately it sounds a lot like Mareks. They keep saying paralysis of the legs, one sticking back and one forward. Now she is definitely sticking one straight back but the other one is floppy underneath her belly. She is being kept in a box right next to my new chicks that are only 1 week old as we thought this was an injury. Now I am worried we may have exposed the chicks to a highly contagious disease. Although I read on a website that the Mareks vaccine would only stop the paralysis and tumors. The lady I bought them from said that she vaccinated them, so does that mean that this couldn't be Mareks? Sorry for the long post, but we are getting to the point that we think she needs to be put down, but I would rather not if I didn't have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are fairly new to chickens and have never had a sick one before.

P.S. No one else is showing any signs of illness or paralysis.

Thanks!

2. austinfarm

Jul 1, 2010
    Update: I found a picture of a bird with splayed legs caused be Marek's here http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf (you have to scroll down a ways to the part about Marek's) My pullet looked exactly like this except you couldn't see the leg in front. It was underneath her more :( She wasn't eating any more and was looking really weak. We decided to cull her. My new chicks that were in a brooder next to her weren't vaccinated by the breeder. Are they all going to get it? None of the other birds that she was in with before we separated her are showing any signs, but they were supposed to all be vaccinated, her included. My coop is divided only by a piece of chicken wire so the adult hens could get used to the younger pullets and roosters before we put them together. The adults are fine too.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    My first batch of chicks three years ago were all vaccinated for Mareks, but two of them got it. I was able to cure both of them with Colloidal Silver. I've never vaccinated subsequent batches because I believe that my chicks got Mareks from the live virus in the vaccination. I haven't seen it since in any of my flock.

So rest easy and be very observant with your chickens so you notice any changes as quickly as possible. If one looks like they've got Mareks, give them a half dropperful of Colloidal Silver once a day for 3-5 days and see if there are any changes. With one rooster, I had to give it to him over a period of two weeks and then he was cured.

Sorry you lost your little one.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. austinfarm

Jul 1, 2010
    How do you administer CS? Where can I buy it?

Thanks!

6. Lady Badlands

Nov 5, 2009
    You can buy it at any health food store. It comes in a dropper bottle. Just fill half the dropper full, open your chicken's beak and slowly squeeze the liquid into her mouth. Make sure it gets down her throat. Sometimes they shake their heads after putting liquid in their mouth and it flies all over.

7. Lady Badlands

Nov 5, 2009
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One could use a 1cc syringe, open mouth, stick down the esophagus and none will come come out. Done properly, it's safer than placing liquid in the mouth.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. austinfarm

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by