HELP paralyzed legs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aberfitch, Jul 30, 2008.

1. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I have a brood of chickens and yesterday I went to check on them and found one of them laying on the floor. He was alert and if i put food and water to his face he will eat and drink. His legs done work... he just lays there on his chest. He can't move to do anything. I have put him in his own cage and I have added electrolites to his water. Please help!! if you have seen this before .. please tell me is there anything I can do for him? No other chicken in the same cage has any problems. It just happened over night.

2. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I have no idea how to help you, I hope this bump will bring some help. Also, this should be in the diseases/injuries section, it will get more attention.
    Good luck with the poor fella.......

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Am having a similar problem myself [​IMG] Have one that won;t stand, though she can, just not well and won;t eat drink on her own, and her brood mate that is not as bad... but also sick [​IMG] Every other bird is fine.... just came back from the coop..... I still have no clue. I think maybe mine is botulism... though I have no way to know [​IMG]

4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I had one like that, though he ate and drank his body did not grow with the rest of him, he only lived 5 weeks. I didn't put him out of his misery because he seemed to want to live so badly, he sort of propelled himself to the food/water dishes with his wings. If he doesn't recover in a couple days I suspect there is nothing you can do for him.

5. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I found another post on this forum and it seem to be the chicken has merics desease. I have seperated him from the others and He is in a little box next to my desk. he always has a pan of food by his head. He eats and drinks like there is nothing wrong. only his legs don't work. I read the legs will come back in about a week to two. It has been about 5 days now and His legs are starting to work again. Slowly but for sure. I am glad I narrowed it down. thank you all for your help. and I wish luck to all who have sick ones to take care of.

6. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I'm glad he's getting better. I think mine's was genetic, he arrived that way and nothing I did improved him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by