HELP, part of leg ripped off.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs Doolittle, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Mrs Doolittle

Mrs Doolittle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    South Dakota
    I don't know what happened. Half of my hen's leg is missing, and bone is exposed. She was enclosed in a coop/run, so it was not an animal attack. I have put her in her own place in the garage, but is there anything I can do for this severe of an injury, or should I just end her suffering?

2. Mrs Doolittle

Apr 2, 2012
    South Dakota
    Upon close investigation, it appears her toes may have froze off. ***? She's walking on her stumps, eating, drinking, and even laid an egg. I put her in the garage with a heat lamp and did a Betadine rinse. We'll see how she does overnight.

3. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    Oh i'm sorry! That sounds horrible. Is it one leg or both? Is her foot missing right where her toes connect to her leg?

4. Mrs Doolittle

Apr 2, 2012
    South Dakota
    The foot pad is still there, all toes but 1 are gone.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Does the exposed area look healed/closed, or is it raw/bleeding?? If it's already closed and doesn't look infected, then there's really nothing to do if she's behaving pretty much normally.
    But if the foot is raw/bleeding, then there would be risk of infection due to stepping in poo and dirt. If that's the case I'd rinse the foot off really well, use vet wrap around the foot, and contain her for a few days in a crate/cage to limit movement and monitor the foot. I'd probably give an antibiotic in her water too...

6. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Woah sounds scary! Can you post a picture? I agree with teach1rusl!!

7. Mrs Doolittle

Apr 2, 2012
    South Dakota
    I can post a picture tomorrow. They are still raw. I can't get them sufficiently wrapped so that she will leave it on, but I will continue with the Betadine rinses, and have given her colloidal silver. She is in a large tote with a heat lamp in the garage for now.

8. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Man that is so scary! I hope she's doing well :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by