1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Peachick stuck to umbiblical cord

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by GrannieJ, Jun 9, 2017.

1. GrannieJ

GrannieJ Just Hatched

May 24, 2017
    I had to help one of my eggs hatch he externally pipped 36 hours ago and I had to make a pip whole and he did eventually get out but he is stuck to the sheel withe the cord and there is what appears to be some yolk and a lil blood in the bottom of the egg. He is out and quite fisty but on his side cause he is stuck to the sgg from the cord. Do I leave it and will it eventually come unattached or do I do something. I am just horrified to lose him!! Any help is much appreciated...thank you

2. Argus

Argus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    Can you post a picture? There is often "stuff" left over after they hatch and it would help to see it. Leave him alone if still absorbing yolk. Hopefully he isn't bleeding too much, but even if he is they can survive quite a bit of blood loss.

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

It is hard to not 'help' a chick. Very often that helping makes matters worse. I had a similar problem lately. I was having chicks attached to the shell by a very dry and tough cord causing herniated navels. It was suggested for me to move the eggs into the hatcher at least three days before hatch and I have seen drastic improvements after taking this advice.

Wickedchicken6 and casportpony like this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    @KsKingBee , here is the chick in in question:
    [​IMG]

5. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

This one seems to be ok so far. If it struggles for any length of time it will herniate the navel and pooch out. I put trip oint on the navels, and even so I still lose about half of them.

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by