Help! Peacock reacting after injection...

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by hgoldammer, Nov 11, 2014.

1. hgoldammer

hgoldammer Out Of The Brooder

I gave my peacocks injections last night, because they've been sick. This was their 3rd dose. Shortly after, one of my peacocks trembled around, like a seizure, and he's not acted right since. If he tries to stand up, he does a somersault ... His legs work fine as he lies down and goes in a circle. His neck is to one side or the other, but alert otherwise... We're giving him rooster booster orally with a syringe, as well as feeding him oatmeal with Nutri-Drench to make sure he's getting fluids and nutrition... Any ideas??? The rest of our peacocks are just fine...

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Poor guy! [​IMG]
    It would likely help the pea health experts here if you let them know what you injected him with...

1 person likes this.
  3. hgoldammer

Tylan 200 2 cc's every other night for 3 doses; and this was his last dose...he was way better; perhaps I should've left him alone. ;(

4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Maybe you could try Benadryl to treat the allergic reaction as well as to sedate.

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    And what ailment were you treating with the Tylan?

Also, while we wait for the experts to show up with real advice...I see that it is very cold in your neck of the woods, can you bring him inside, and make him comfortable someplace warm?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. hgoldammer

I did bring him inside.. We are treating upper respiratory infection/?pneumonia... Some of their eyes were swollen/mattered **** and breathing thru their mouths, with some of them gurgling. But like I said, the rest are better, thankfully!!!

7. hgoldammer

*mattered shut

8. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    How wretched, so sorry! [​IMG] Am not one of the experts, but wanted to ask if you could give any specifics as to how/where you gave the injections? It sounds like you were doing the best thing you could for him, and the antibiotics were needed, so it's a hard thing to have happen [​IMG]

I have a vague recollection of reading over on the UPA forum some time back that there is a possibility of tissue damage from antibiotic injections... but not sure you had much choice under these circumstances. You might try researching over there on Tylan, but I didn't find anything really helpful when I just did a quick look.

Hang in there.

1 person likes this.
  9. hgoldammer

Thank you :) I injected between lower on his neck above his wing, as I was told this is where to go. I'm really hoping I didn't hurt him... Poor lil guy...

10. hgoldammer

Just wondering if maybe I hit a nerve, and hopefully this is all temporary. And NO avian vets around here to help. And we've already lost two peafowl this week from their disease. :( :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by