...Help!!!...Pebbles stuck in gizzard!!!...

lisa t

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
...my Lucretia is sick and vet said X-ray shows pebbles hung up in gizzard...pooping some but no pebbles...and feeding her backs up in crop...she's hoping a good "lube" will work...any life lines out there?!?!?!...

I am pretty sure chickens are supposed to have pebbles in their gizzard............

If food is backing up in her crop, she may have an obstruction in her crop.

I have "performed surgery" on a young rooster's crop and found a wood shaving blocking the exit of his crop. He recovered, we named him Lucky.

Ya, chickens are supposed to have rocks/pebbles. Like enola said, I would wonder if there isn't something else in there that isn't showing up on x-ray, wood chips, hay, grass, plastic etc. Is her crop really expanded?

...thank you all...she's pooping but still having the back up in the crop...opening her mouth occasionally like something is irritating her "throat"...will run all your tips by my vet this mor ing...

...yes the crop was tremendously distended with foul gray liquid...they drained it started antibiotics gradually reintroduced liquid and feed but still seems to be backing up...she's pooping and has a slight interest in food but after a few bites quits...thanks for all your input...we're not giving up...

...yes the crop was tremendously distended with foul gray liquid...they drained it started antibiotics gradually reintroduced liquid and feed but still seems to be backing up...she's pooping and has a slight interest in food but after a few bites quits...thanks for all your input...we're not giving up...

Try giving her something soft, like scrambled eggs. My sick and injured birds gobble those up like there's no tomorrow. Hoping for the best for you!

...thank you all--originally he felt the problem was the excessive pebble looking material in the"gizzard"...now after pooping fairly well...and with the crop still slow to empty--but slight improvement...he's concerned about her only fair appetite and this odd mouth opening behavior she has done occasionally/fairly frequently...will follow up with scrambled eggs Monday!!!...closed on Sunday to talk to vet...again thank you!!!...I love my pets!!!...

Back
Top Bottom