1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Pecking Duck wound

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chelly3, Jul 1, 2016.

1. chelly3

chelly3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

Just saw my duck with this wound this morning. Sleeps in the backyard with 3 other ducks, who are completely okay. Not sure what causes this wound. Could it be from a backyard animal such as a rat? Or from her house environment which the duck lives in dirt,hay,fruit trees, and is surrounded by fences.

2. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Could it be she stuck her beak out through or under the fence and scraped it when she pulled it back in?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Has she had conflict with another duck?

What are you doing to treat it?

4. chelly3

Apr 13, 2016
    I'm looking for advice how to treat the area. I did dip her beak in clean water. Didn't know what else to do so it doesn't get infected.

There is one boy duck who tries to mate her but she is only 4 months old and the boy is an adult.

Should I separate the younger ducks from the adults? I supervised them and they get along but at times I see the adult boy trying to get on top of the 4 month old duck.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would separate them for now.

For bill injuries, rinsing 4 times a day with Vetericyn or mild saline solution will help. You might also dab some triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on the spot at night before their bedtime.

6. chelly3

Apr 13, 2016
    thank you for your help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by