Help, peeled back air sac.. chicken still living.. idk what to do!!

brittwalters

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
So, I called the woman I bought the hatching eggs from.. she said if they hadn't hatched by today, to crack open the air sac and to see what was going on.. so i did it. the first egg didn't fully develop, i only made it to the second egg before i nearly had a heart attack. the air sac was VERY WHITE, so as i went to moisten it it opened a little and started bleeding. the chicken is not making any noise, but the membrane is now moving up and down.. i'm not sure if the chicken can breathe or not. but it really doesnt look like the chick is ready to come out. there are still plenty of veins attached to the membrane. this is my first time hatching chicks, obviously. I knew I should have trusted my gut and gave them a few more days
sad.png
now i'm not sure what to do. PLEASE HELP.

btw, today is their 24th day.

I think 24 days is a lot. What was your temperature at? I would put it back in the incubator and wait
until the membrane is clear.
Did you candle them first? I would have tried helping them at 24 days too so don't feel bad!

The eggs were VERY dark. I called the "chicken expert" AKA who I bought the eggs from and she said she incubated them prior to me actually picking them up.. so from the car-ride to my house, the eggs cooled down.. the incubator is at a solid 100F. The membrane is clear now, I can see the chick trying to stick its little beak through it, but isn't doing so well. I put a warm, wet compress around the shell and it's back in the incubator. I guess I'll check on it in the morning and see what happens. It's making me SO nervous
barnie.gif

How is the chick doing now?

In a situation like what you have it's best to clear the chick's beak and nostrils, so it can breathe and leave it in the incubator with the humidity high, so the membrane doesn't dry out and "shrink wrap" the chick. So you did the right thing there, with the warm, wet compress and leaving the chick. You must keep an eye on the membrane and wait for all the blood to be absorbed before helping the chick complete the hatch. This process can take hours, so it's best to be patient and take your time, leave the chick for a few hours in-between checking and fiddling. Hatches like this can take up to 24 hours or more!

Here is an excellent article on assisted hatches that explains the process, what to do when, what to look for, with pics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Have a look, even if you don't use the info now it's good to have for future reference.

I left him in over night, I had to help a little more. He kept getting caught and wasn't making much progress. Now he's having problems with his legs though, so I'm going to attempt to splint his legs later.. Along with another chick. The rest of them hatched perfectly though

good I am glad they all hatched mine hatched late 22/23 day, but if it had been longer (24days) I would have helped. I go really slow though and just do a pip hole if from candling the chick if it is already in the air cell then wait 24 hrs for the chick to get used to our air. then go slow if it bleeds a little put it back, then if you get to the bottom of the egg and belly button is still connected to the yolk stuff, I leave it connected, and put a sock over so the other chicks don't peck, at this stage the belly button NEEDS TO DRY!!!! Wetting the egg is just to help the chick out of the egg once it is out it is out. then dry that chick.

Back
Top Bottom