Help !Peepered hens not eating!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ecocheapomom, May 30, 2010.

1. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    In a last ditch effort to curb a major pecking problem we put pinless peepers on 5 of our flock members today. One was spared as she is not normally one of the offenders and one shook them off by the end of the day so we will try again with her. Putting them on wasn't as bad as I thought, but I think they are having trouble eating of their hanging feeder. Will they get the hang of it? They got up on the roosts alright and I think I saw them drinking, but I'm concerned about them getting enough to eat. Anyone with experience on this one?

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Hopefuly someone can help

3. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It's been two days now and I tried changing the height of the feeder, but they still act like they can't get the food. They go right up to it and know it's there, but they aren't pecking at it and are going crazy. I them some food on the ground and they dove for it. My understanding was that the feed should be at chest height for them, but should I put it on the ground? I feel like I solved one problem and created another!

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I'd never heard of them and had to go look them up. The site I found said it only allows them to look down, so I'd think you're going to have to lower the feeder and keep lowering it a bit at a time until they can see the food and start eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by