HELP! Peeps just arrived and major issues! Cannot get ahold of hatchery!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CowgirlHC, Feb 6, 2013.

1. CowgirlHC

CowgirlHC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    West Virginia
    My peeps hatched the 4th, were shipped the 5th, received this morning...right on schedule. Order was incorrect, but that's not the issue, I'll deal w/ that later. 1 was DOA and the others are very poor. 2 have collapsed on me, they're very lethargic and unbalanced, they're propping themselves up on each other or on things or they just flatten out. 1 will not open it's eyes but nothing appears wrong with it. No matting, drainage/discharge, nothing. I've dipped everyone's beaks in sugar water as recommended by a very knowledgeable and experienced individual, but only 3-5 are actually acting like healthy and normal peeps. I've left 4 messages for the hatchery because every time I call it's busy and eventually they send you to a machine. I've been on hold probably 6-8 times in addition to leaving the 4 messages, making me wonder if this hatch hasn't been an issue for everyone. It's so heart breaking I don't know what is wrong or what to do. I can't even take my toddler to the brooder to see them because I never know if anyone else has died. What is going on??

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like shipping stress and isn't it very cold where you are right now?

What temp. do you have at floor level in their brooder?

3. CowgirlHC

Oct 12, 2012
    West Virginia
    Poor things :-( It's around 90 at the litter level, I'm going to go check it again to make sure and see if it needs adjusted. Yes, after speaking with the owners, he looked at the weather at our local PO hub and last night it was 12 degrees (still warmer than it had been being luckily). Unfortunate as it is, some PO workers don't pay attention or care enough to put the peeps where they should be until shipping resumes the next day, so maybe that had something to do with it. They are making it more than right by me, it's just I want to save who I can if at all possible. Is the sugar water something I should continue today?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yeah, I figured the weather had a part to play in it. [​IMG]
    Use the sugar water, but sparingly. It can cause diarrhea, setting off a whole new problem. Can you get something like Gro Gel from your local feedstore? Otherwise, try to tempt them with some finely chopped, scrambled egg.
    That and keeping them warm enough is about all I can suggest. Good luck to you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. CowgirlHC

Oct 12, 2012
    West Virginia
    I will definitely do all I can and am very happy, even regarding what has happened, with this hatchery and their affiliates and in no way will this inhibit me from dealing with them again. They're definitely bending over backwards to help right this in more ways than ever imagined. Unfortunately when ordering/shipping this time of year you always run a risk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by