HELP pekin duck attacked by dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by m&mfrom ky, Jun 26, 2011.

1. m&mfrom ky

m&mfrom ky New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    she was hide in the woods over night. I lost 2 ducks and 4 chickens that i know so far still waiting to see if i have a few more come back. I brought her in the house and put her in the tub to clean her off and there were baby magots she has had all of her feathers yanked out in the breast area and has had them yanked out on the upper part of her back. she is walking and swimming in the tub but only eats very little , but drinks well, this is gross but she does eat the magots i got out of her. It looks bad but i do not see any punture wounds. just lots of damaged fleash due to feathers being yanked out and lots of them are still in there just the stubs. it smells bad before i give her a bath but then fine.

first time i have had ducks or chickens hand raised them til they were old enough to go outside my fault gate to pen was left open

what do i do i have read several post but most of the deal with tail feathers and not sure if ducks and chickens can use same stuff

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Sorry for your losses!

Treat her as you've read in the posts for chickens.

Wash the areas very thoroughly with peroxide, and remove every maggot. Don't let her eat them, as if they're feeding on any infected flesh she risks re-infecting herself.
    Buy some SWAT or screw worm spray and treat all the infected areas.
    Keep her inside, away from flies, until she is fully recovered.

She may also need an antibiotic. The bad smell and maggots are often an indication of infection.

3. m&mfrom ky

m&mfrom ky New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    thank you very much have had her in the tub about 5 times now and no more magots floating in the water. i will get some antibotics at the feed store. she does smell better now. she is so sweet she lets me look her all over and even blow dry her. i really hopes see makes it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by