Help Pekin Duck Can't Lay Egg???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by glowworm2011, Jun 5, 2012.

1. glowworm2011

glowworm2011 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    My 1 1/2 year old pekin duck, who usually lays an egg a day, has been trying to lay an egg since Sunday morning. There are a lot of feathers so I think she may be molting ( I understand that they don't usually lay one then). But she sits around all day now just trying to lay, I felt of her stomach and I don't feel an egg (not a calcified one at least). She does get up to walk around a bit and to drink, but I haven't seen her eating. Doesn't act like she is in pain. Does she just think she has to lay but really doesn't or is it something more serious? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be serious,

has she made any poop since Sunday?

In any case, get her into a lukewarm bath deep enough to float in, let her stay in there for 45 minutes to an hour and see if she can relax and pass the egg.

Being egg bound can lead to very dire problems.

Take a look at her vent . . . can you see an egg?

Be careful handling her so nothing breaks.

3. glowworm2011

Aug 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thank you amiga. Will give that a try.

4. glowworm2011

Aug 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well before I could give that a try she laid her egg. Yea! But her wings are still involuntarily twitching and I'm worried about her. Is there anything I can do to help her with this twitching?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Any chance of a video? See my reply on your other post.

May or may not be heat related.

6. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    My girl Pekin, Bella, just went through this. right now in PA our temp. is 85 degrees with no breeze & way too much humidity! She is recovering from an egg-bound incident. I picked her up & put her in the pool & placed several fresh water containers around our back yard & it seems to have helped with the panting & wings flipping up & down.

Has your girl laid anegg?
    Thanks,
    Char:)

7. glowworm2011

Aug 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    Aww I'm sorry about Bella, but I'm glad that she is recovering. Yes, Ethel has laid at least two eggs. She's acting a little better today. It's kinda up and down for her.

8. pekinsRus

May 4, 2011
    same here with Bella. She seems much better & is laying her 1 egg/ day, but she still sits much more! Now Affy is limping on his left leg. It is not bumble foot. My son dropped him from a few feet, but he was walking normal then. I 'm. trying to rest him!
    Thanks,
    Char:/

9. pekinsRus

May 4, 2011
    My 3 yr/old male, Pekin Affy started limping 6-11-12 afternoon on his L leg. My son said he dropped him by accident. But Affy was running/walking normal right after the accident. I have kept him separate since this from his brother Daffy. Because they are in a continuous pecking order fight due to mating season.
    Any and ALL suggestions please!!
    There is no bumble foot noted or any signs/symptoms of any injury. Bilateral legs appear the same, other than the Llimp.
    PLEASE HELP!
    Thank you,
    Char:/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by