HELP!! Pekin Duck with stuffy nose

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jyoumans2290, Jun 23, 2016.

1. jyoumans2290

jyoumans2290 New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Okay friends, I am new to the group. I have a Pekin duckling and is only just about two weeks old. He was born with a vitamin deficiency and with no eyes. Starting yesterday he sounded stuffy. Today he sounded the same. He has clean water all the time and is deep enough for him to dunk. Today I gave him a bath (which he is not a fan of) and i dunked his head three times. He sounds a little better but I don't want it to get worse. I tried looking and there is nothing there that i can see. I also blew into his nostrils twice to see if that would help. Should I just keep doing this or contact my vet? how many times do you think i should keep dunking and blowing into his nose?

2. copperduck

copperduck Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2015
    Doylestown ohio
    Or try and give him electrolytes or a vitamin d pill

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would be in touch with the vet, and put some poultry vitamins in his drinking water once a week to boost the immune system. Sometimes they can pick up respiratory infections - those can turn very bad very quickly.

Please keep us posted!
    [​IMG]

4. jyoumans2290

jyoumans2290 New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Update: So he was sounding better, but today I just noticed a little piece of food inside his nose. I tried to dunk his head several times, tried to blow in it, and tried a toothpick with cotton around it to get it out. Unfortunately it is still stuck in there, should i just keep trying to dunk his head and have him work it out or should i seek out my vet? He is acting otherwise very normal

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give the duckling some time in brooder-temperature water and let him play and snoot water like ducklings do. Some things take a while to rehydrate and soften up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by