Help!!! Pekin is having trouble walking!

rookiehen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Quackers is 4 weeks old. He has always been a little clumsy. His legs always seem to stick out farther than the others when he swims. He has a broader stance than the others.

This morning, when I went out to feed/water and let them swim, he was laying on his back and could not get up. It scared me to death! So I turned him over and watched him for a while. He can walk but his legs seem to buckle under the weight, so he kind of falls back onto his bottom. As long as he's moving forward, he does fine. If he stops and stands still his legs give out.

I kind of think he needs a splint? Like maybe his legs aren't close enough to support the weight of his rapidly growing body???

I made an appt with the vet for 3:15, but I'm a nervous wreck! He has been my favorite, and I'm scared it might be neurological.

Help, please!

Has he been on duck starter or gamebird food? He may be deficient in niacin. Some chick starters do not have enough niacin. Brewers yeast has niacin in it. Opening a niacin capsule over their food also would be ok. I hear pekins are prone to this do to their large size.

Get niacin supplements going. Does your vet work much with ducks? She or he may not know about the niacin. It's documented in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, if the vet questions this.

He did know about the niacin, but said he really thought it was neurological. He spent quite a bit of time examining him and watching him. He asked a lot of questions about his diet and told me to supplement with safe choice horse feed soaked in water. He eats all sorts of things: chick starter (unmedicated), grass, weeds, bugs, sugar snap peas, grit, shredded cabbage, and what ever else he finds. He said that some infections can cause neurological and balance issues, so he gave him a shot, and sent us home with antibiotics. By this evening he seemed perfectly fine. Not sure what to think. He's always been a little "off" as compared to his siblings. We shall see...

Quakers is showing improvement in strength and coordination. I didn't realize it, but I've been giving them niacin all along in their water with a vitamin mixture I bought at TSC! Maybe it is an infection? Maybe he's growing out of it (doc said that could happen). Whatever the reason, I'm thankful. Kinda partial to the little guy...

Quakers is showing improvement in strength and coordination. I didn't realize it, but I've been giving them niacin all along in their water with a vitamin mixture I bought at TSC! Maybe it is an infection? Maybe he's growing out of it (doc said that could happen). Whatever the reason, I'm thankful. Kinda partial to the little guy...
thumbsup.gif
great news!!

Back
Top Bottom