1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP Performed surgery for Bumblefoot, can't tell if we got it all or not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dirtndye, Feb 2, 2014.

1. dirtndye

dirtndye New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    We have a Golden Laced Wyandotte who has bumblefoot- We used a scalpel to remove the scab and some black tissue, leaving a very clean section towards the joint of her foot, but the main round part is not so clean looking, but we can't seem to get anything else out. There was some pus that came out, and we made an incision below the round part to see if we could get more out but couldn't. It fills up with blood immediately. We flooded the wound with betadine and packed it with bacitracin and bandaged the foot, but really don't know if we got it all, and if not, how??? Any help is MUCH APPRECIATED! Thank you!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    It looks like you did a good job. I'd imagine if you got everything, it will heal. Otherwise, it may drain now that you opened it up.

3. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Squeeze the dickens out of it from the opposite side and see if anything else will come out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by