Help pick my bantam flock - colorful eggs

cottontail farm

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
Hello,
I've been a chicken owner and member here for years. After a number of things going wrong the last two years (foxes, hawks, loose dogs) I've decided to get rid of my standard chickens and move to an all bantam flock in a big covered avairy type setting.
I really enjoy a colorful egg basket. Blue and green eggs are easy enough but I'm having a hard time narrowing down bantams that will make a nice dark brown. Also looking for any bantams that will provide a pure white (not tinted) egg, like my leghorn did. Not looking for quantity of course but a nice variety. Help me out with suggestions?

Yep, I figured on Easter Eggers for blue and green eggs. I love the assortment of colors they can come in. :love
Any suggestions for dark browk and pure white eggs?
D´Uccles and Seramas are my favorite bantams and they lay white eggs. A few of my D´Uccles lay very light tan eggs. I love my Columbian Plymouth Rock bantam, Peggy, she lays long pinkish eggs with white speckles. I thought only she laid eggs like that, but my friend adopted two Columbian Plymouth Rock bantams and they also lay eggs like that.

D´Uccles and Seramas are my favorite bantams and they lay white eggs. A few of my D´Uccles lay very light tan eggs. I love my Columbian Plymouth Rock bantam, Peggy, she lays long pinkish eggs with white speckles. I thought only she laid eggs like that, but my friend adopted two Columbian Plymouth Rock bantams and they also lay eggs like that.
I love d'uccles but have never had one that laid a white egg, they are all tinted. Those long "torpedo " eggs are adorable!

Yep, I figured on Easter Eggers for blue and green eggs. I love the assortment of colors they can come in. :love
Any suggestions for dark browk and pure white eggs?
For white eggs, Leghorn bantams.
For dark brown, I’d choose Welsummer bantams or Barnevelder bantams. They are very rare so unlikely to have good egg color, but it’s the closest you can get. Marans bantams are still in the early stages of development if they’re being developed at all.

I’ve had d’Uccles but only remember ever getting cream eggs.

here is the variability of the bantam Welsummers, as you can see, it’s a work in progress but maybe the darkest eggs you can get in bantams.
https://m.facebook.com/pg/Project-B...074031694/photos/?ref=content_filter&mt_nav=0
56DBB96B-A21A-4626-91BE-CB52FF8F2A89.jpeg

Barnevelder (the Welsummer eggs in the photo are LF. These Barnevelders are only 7/8ths bantam, but I think it goes to show the egg color anyways.)
1615036918871.jpeg

Cackle Hatchery shows darker eggs for their Barnevelder bantams. I’m not 100 percent sure if those are the actual bantam eggs but it’s worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom