Help Picking Last Duck Breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Oct 19, 2013.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I changed my 3rd duck ordering website from Holderread's to Sand Hill and it has increased my selection by alot. I'll show you the breeds I'm considering for the last spot and listen to your intake to decide my final breed. All I'm looking for is a bird that will look coll with the ones I have now, but also show a little diversity.
    Breeds Quantity
    Buff Orpington Drake (Metzer) 1
    Buff Orpington Duck (Metzer) 2
    Khaki Campbell Drake (Metzer) 1
    Khaki Campbell Duck (Metzer) 2
    Rouen Drake (Metzer) 1
    Rouen Duck (Metzer) 2
    Mallard Drake (Metzer) 1
    Mallard Duck (Metzer) 2
    Silver Welsh Harlequin Duck (Metzer) 1
    Welsh Harlequin (Sand Hill) 2
    Dark Campbell (Sand Hill) 2
    Saxony (Sand Hill) 2
    Dusky Dutch Hook Bill (Sand Hill) 2
    Black and White Pied Muscovy Drake (Purely Poultry) 1
    Black and White Pied Muscovy Duck (Purely Poultry) 1
    Blue and White Pied Muscovy Drake (Purely Poultry) 1
    Blue and White Pied Muscovy Duck (Purely Poultry) 1
    Chocolate Muscovy Drake (Purely Poultry) 1
    Chocolate Muscovy Duck (Purely Poultry) 1
    Penciled Runner (Sand Hill) 2
    White Runner (Sand Hill) 2
    Grey Runner (Sand Hill) 2
    Fawn and White Runner Duck (Metzer) 2
    Chocolate Runner Duck (Metzer) 2
    Blue Runner Duck (Metzer) 3
    Black Runner Duck (Metzer) 3
    Pekin Duck (Metzer) 4
    Jumbo Pekin Duck (Metzer) 2
    Blue Swedish Duck (Metzer) 3
    Black Swedish Duck (Metzer) 3
    Cayuga Duck (Metzer) 3
    One thing for sure. Microsoft Excel is much neater then word for making this than Word. Here are the breeds I'm choosing from for the last spot: Buff Runner, Khaki Runner, Golden Cascade, and Blue Cayuga. They each have their advantages (I usually don't see too many disadvantages in ducks). Buff Runner Advantages: Runs, Hardy, Looks like one of my favorite ducks except its still the runner. Khaki Runner Advantages: The same as the Buff Runner and it looks cool being a Khaki Campbell and a runner combined. Golden Cascade Advantages: Good layer, Darker Colored Buff, Nice Size. Blue Cayuga: Good and quiet duck. Gives me a pure Blue duck that's not a runner.

And the Ancona, I'm considering that as well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    I received my ducks from McMurray Hatchery- I do not really have experience (other than working with) owning other breeds, but I can tell you about the ones I do have-
    I have Golden Hybrid 300's and they are really fantastic! They are my backyard hobby/ pets.
    My girls are very quiet, curious, friendly and independent, were bred for egg laying (300+ each a year!), and naturally, adorable [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I would personally go with the cayugas. I have always liked them more than the runners simply because they are more docile and friendly.
    But keep in mind that they do not breed true to blue. You will get black cayugas when you breed just blues as the blue is a recessive trait in this breed.

4. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    That's honestly what I've been leaning towards. It's a moderately big pure blue/splash/black duck and I really like how they look. I'll just pick that one then.

5. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Depending on the bloodlines you end up with, you should be very happy with the cayugas :)
    I bred them for a handful of years and ended up with a gorgeous Large duck, great for foraging, very calm and friendly, somewhat broody, and decent egg production. And I was breeding for colored eggs so mine laid gray and green eggs (they start off black but lighten with the laying cycle).
    I had always had black cayugas but this past spring I ended up hatching 6 blue ones from my flock! I am still mystified as to where the blue even came from :)

6. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I'm already getting Black Cayugas so more Cayugas can't hurt.

7. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG] You'll love them if youve never had them before

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by