HELP! Pigeon dying, object in crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bock, Aug 2, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Help please! I was letting the pigeons out of their loft today, when I noticed one of them sitting near the cage all puffed up. My dog sniffed it, and it didn't even move. I picked it up, and felt its crop. It was empty, except for a ring like object right in the middle. It feels almost like the ring around the neck of a gallon milk jug. How do I save her? She is laying out flat now, and it looks like time is running out. I got her to drink some water, but it only seemed to make it worse. Please help, any suggestions would be appriciated! Thank you! [​IMG]

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Oh, sweetie. I am so sorry! I don't know of anything that would help in this situation. [​IMG]

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Update, I just looked in the cage, and she has passed away. [​IMG] I am going to go bury her now. She was a beautiful girl, and a great mom. I am just so sad that it happened so fast. I wanted so bad to save her. All well, RIP girl. [​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:I am so sorry. I feared there was nothing to be done. Did you determine what the object was so you can perhaps prevent this in the future? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by