Help! Pigeon Swollen Ankle

nataliegrinks

Songster
6 Years
Feb 10, 2017
Hello! I have a little racer/homer that isn’t using one leg. I looked at him and his “ankle” is much bigger than the other one. His foot doesn’t respond when touched. How do you know if it’s broken, dislocated, arthritis or deformed? I’ve not had a pigeon with an injury. Please help if you can. I’d like to know how to treat it.

Hello! I have a little racer/homer that isn’t using one leg. I looked at him and his “ankle” is much bigger than the other one. His foot doesn’t respond when touched. How do you know if it’s broken, dislocated, arthritis or deformed? I’ve not had a pigeon with an injury. Please help if you can. I’d like to know how to treat it.
I once had one with similar problems. I wasnt sure how to treat it, so I left it be. It recovered completely on its own. I don't recommend doing this, but if you can't find more info, i would say to just give it comfy living arrangements.

Thank you for your response:) We may have to if I can’t tell what it is exactly. We’re going to check him out a little closer later. He’s flying. He’s just not using that leg. He’s had problems since hatching. He was less than half the size of his nest mate. I figured he might have problems of some sort.

Hello! Thanks for your response. He was certainly stunted in growth. I didn’t think he was going to make it at all. I ended up supplementally feeding him because his parents stopped. Then they started up again. I don’t have a picture, but I’ll take one ASAP and post it. Wouldn’t I have noticed this earlier? Or does it happen all of a sudden?

Attachments

• D4DDD05B-B531-479D-85FC-7D1E77B6427C.jpeg
    D4DDD05B-B531-479D-85FC-7D1E77B6427C.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
  • EB4C95BB-42FF-4BAD-8C9F-29B5F468AD86.jpeg
    EB4C95BB-42FF-4BAD-8C9F-29B5F468AD86.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom