HELP - pink thing hanging out of LS's vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Princess_Layer, May 13, 2010.

1. Princess_Layer

Princess_Layer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Norfolk, UK
    [​IMG]

We've started to let our hens out free range and I've just let them out today - my light sussex did a poop and I noticed this pink thing hanging out of her backside.

I'm on my own with DD at present so can't take pics but her vent is all matted, she isn't bleeding - at the moment [​IMG] is it a prolapse do you think and if so what can I do to help. [​IMG]

Please help.

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    It might be a prolapse, I would remove her from the others and check her out. I know theres a thread on what to do for a prolapse but I've never personally experiencd it before. Do a search for it here on BYC, I think there are pics also. Hope you get more experienced help. Good Luck!

3. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    Definitely separate her so the other do not peck at it and pull it out. I'm sure a search will help you decide if indeed she is prolapsed. Good luck!

4. Princess_Layer

Mar 20, 2010
    Norfolk, UK
    I rang our vet and they suggested I hold her upsidedown and put a warm damp cloth over it and gently push it back in. I held it like that for a minute or two. I checked her a few hours later and it was still ok, so I've put her back into the coop with the others. I've got no-where to keep her overnight [​IMG] as I sold my spare coop last Saturday [​IMG]

I'll check her first thing and then look into purchasing to dog cage for the house if we need to separate them. [​IMG]

The searches helped lots though - what do I do with the sugar if I need to use that. Do I melt it in water or do you just put some round the prolapse.

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    In bigger animals I think you sprinkle sugar on the prolapsed organ which shrinks it and makes it easier to put back in. This is purely book learnin' NO experience with it!

6. Princess_Layer

Mar 20, 2010
    Norfolk, UK
    I'm happy to report that today my lovely little LS is fine and her prolapse hasn't reoccured AND she laid an egg. She's eating and drinking fine and she's now outside with the other 2. [​IMG]

Still keeping fingers crossed that she's ok over the w/e.

Sugar at the ready.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats great news! Keeping fingers crossed for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by