Help!! Pip on bottom of egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by angnic22, Nov 5, 2016.

1. angnic22

angnic22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2016
    #8 pipped really low. Is this something that I should be concerned about?? I'm not opposed to intervening if it means saving a life but rather not if she'll work herself out. Advice?

[​IMG]

2. Mak24456

Mak24456 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2016
    NC
    It's pipped the wrong end... I suggest reading Sally Sunshine's guide to assisted hatching. Before assisting make sure you wait, and wait some more. You definitely don't want to do anything too soon. Good luck!

3. angnic22

Mar 24, 2016
    She's actually making good progress. Gonna wait and stay up until she's done or needs my help. :)

Thank you for responding. I don't feel alone and that means a lot!

[​IMG]

4. angnic22

Mar 24, 2016
    She made it unassisted!!!

[​IMG]

My hygrometer is off. It's about 72% now that she's hatched. :)

5. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    I have had quite a few that have piped in the middle and wrong ends and have hatched just fine. there are a few that have not made it, but this is due to them moving away from the opening and in turn suffocating. Just keep an eye on them if you can, but once other chicks have hatched and they bump the eggs around it can be hard to keep track.

Personally i have not intervened on any hatch except one that i did not know piped and was zipping when i had removed the other chicks from the incubator. in turn the humidity had dropped and it had hardened a part of the membrane so it could not remove the shell. I clipped that little bit and it hatched just fine.

6. angnic22

Mar 24, 2016
    Very interesting. I agree. Didn't want to intervene if I didn't have to and she actually did pretty good on her own. Her beak/head looked a bit crooked she she hatched. So proud of her.

It's odd because I can still see the air sac completely intact inside the shell. This is a first for me.

[​IMG]

7. carternm31

carternm31 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    How cool is that! I had one pip at the bottom but sadly didn't make it :(

8. angnic22

Mar 24, 2016
    I'm so sorry. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by