help! pippin no zipping!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedfogsFlock, May 11, 2011.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Saturday night all but two of my duck eggs had internally pipped, Monday one pipped externally, Tues. 5 more have pipped externally. It's now wed! Just little holes was a lot of peeping now just some peepin, and not one hatchling![​IMG]

Last year we only had to help once and that was then one just got to tired to hatch. Is it time to intervein now?

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:It sounds perfectly normal to me. When I hatched Rouens last year, they all pipped externally, and then sat there for about 36 hours before zipping. The zipping process took roughly another 12 hours -- so it was about 48 hours from external pip to hatch.

They took twice as long as turkeys or quail. So it freaked me out, but I concluded it is normal, and have since read the same many times on this board. They just take longer.

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    you are fine. don't interfere it never goes well. what is your humidity at ? ducks need more than chicks. You can spray the eggs with warm water if it is to low

4. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Thanks so much! I was getting worried. My humidity is at 80%. The last nest we pulled we weren't sure where they were as far as hatching, & we come home & they were hatched. [​IMG] So we've had to watch these eggs to get an idea.

[​IMG] Maybe when we get home from work tonight [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by