HELP please. 12 day chick {sneezing runt??}

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrokenWindFarms, Jan 11, 2015.

1. BrokenWindFarms

BrokenWindFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Arizona
    Hi, I'm a first time poster/ pester. It our first time with chicks. We own a farm, but our brooder is in the guest room seemingly a perfect temp {as per bird books} but I have one.. the sweetest little baby rock who is SOOPER tiny and was born the same time as everyone else, But she's sneezing? I don't know if it's really a sneeze.
    She could have a virus, I don't know. No one else seems to be not growing or sneezing. What do I do to keep her alive, she just seems so frail. She's been on Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and vitamins in her water since we got them plus chick starter...

Any advice?

Kristen

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If the sneezing is accompanied by nasal or eye drainage or any other odd symptoms, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Chickens are pretty dirty little critters, bathing in dirt, shavings, poo, ect, some sneezing is to be expected.
    If its excessive, you might try changing the bedding to something that isn't dusty (though the chicks themselves will make dust/dander).
    If she's eating and drinking and not showing obvious distress, I don't think there's much to be done anyway. Good luck, I hope she catches up to the others :)

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    *If the sneezing ISN'T accompanied by drainage is what I meant to say. My phone wouldn't let me edit my previous post :/

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I agree. We're a lot like new baby moms. Every sneeze gives us cause to panic. If that's the only symptom, I would just let it alone. And try to get used to the idea chickens sneeze sometimes, like we do.

However, if this undersize unit isn't eating, just standing in one spot, finding it hard to keep from falling over, and it's poops are watery or not pooping at all, you then do have a sick chick.

It should be racing around, curious about its surroundings and making a mess of its food just like the others. If it stops doing all that, and falls asleep on its feet most of the time, then you can panic.

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome to BYC!

May I ask what you are using as bedding in their brooder?
    I have read before that cedar shavings have been known to cause respiratory problems, so be sure that you are not using that.
    Pine shavings are a better alternative.

I wish you the best of luck with your little one, I have had my share of sick baby chickens, it's never fun.
    :hugs

6. BrokenWindFarms

Jan 11, 2015
    Arizona
    AZYGOUS,
    Ok... yeah... I'm still waiting for poop... but exactly what you said... all of that is happening, staring to engage panic mode. What on Earth could this poor thing be going through, what can I do? She's far too cute to let her suffer... Tell me what to do, please!

7. BrokenWindFarms

Jan 11, 2015
    Arizona
    Pine shavings, I read here to NEVER use cedar shavings so I abide by all y'all! I'm so worried now, I just don't have enough experience with chickens to know what to do. thanks for the hug, it was NEEDED!!

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Okay. Sick chick, we have here, huh? Not eating? Finding it difficult to stay upright? If it isn't eating, it won't be pooping, so don't worry about that now.

You need to get some food into this chick. Have you tried moistening it's crumbles with warm water? That's a great way to get both food and water into it.

Go down to the feed store or PetSmart and get some Poultry Nutri-drench. It's like Poly-vi-sol on steroids, and it's formulated for chicks. Squeeze out a couple doses worth onto the moistened crumbles. If it won't touch the crumbles, try tofu, crumbled up with the Nutri-drench on top.

Now, this is important. All sick chickens will eat way better if they're fed with the flock. So you'll be feeding this stuff to all of them, which won't hurt the well ones one bit. They'll enjoy it.

Don't give up on this chick. These little guys are tougher than you think!

Here's a photo of a runt I had in my last batch of chicks. He was still the size of a one-day old at two-weeks. He had all the symptoms I described to you. He pulled through and gained strength, and was soon competing with all the other chicks for food. They were all so good to him. None treated him mean, which surprised me, probably because I left him with his buddies throughout his ordeal. In this picture, he was a very sick little boy. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. BrokenWindFarms

Jan 11, 2015
    Arizona
    Omg!!! That's exactly what we have at the other babies are taking care of her!! They totally protect her!! I was amazed! Ok, were on our way to petco stat!! She does seem to eat (the little bits) but I've never seen her drink so I have been giving her water via syringe. I'll get some tofu too! Your picture is exactly what ours looks like! I'm so pulling for this little baby! Im so excited that I have someone who knows what I'm talking about!!

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    How is the chick doing today?

Be very careful using a syringe on a chick, I had one aspirate on me one day. I was able to bring her back that time, but not everybody is as lucky. It was very scary and I don't want you to go through that with your chick.

I only use a syringe now on adult birds, and even then I am very cautious and gentle.

I got by using a piece of thread dipped in water for my chick but she was a very tiny girl. I made a loop in the thread and would get water or mashed food in between the loop, then bring the loop to her beak, where she would sometimes take the whole loop in her mouth, other times I'd gently slide the loop around her beak so she could catch the water.
    Sounds silly, but my girl was a bantam and in VERY rough shape. It worked for her. But hold on to the string good, lol, sometimes they get fiesty and surprise you.

You could even dip your finger in water and bring the droplet to her beak.

I wish you the best of luck with your chick. It can be very stressful to have a sick one and I feel for you.

@Azygous gave you awesome advice.

:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by