HELP PLEASE 3 ABANDONED muscovy duck EGGS

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dfwnate, Apr 27, 2017.

1. dfwnate

dfwnate Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    Hello, I am very new to this. There is a duck in our neighborhood who just had a bunch of ducklings hatch but she left 3 eggs behind and never returned. I took them in after ensuring mom wasn't ever coming back. They are currently in a makeshift incubator as the real deal was not on hand. Anyways on to my question, at least 1 egg is chirping, to my knowledge it started late last night and has continued periodically until just now (as I type) but there has been no movement or cracking of the eggs that I can see. Is there anything I should be doing or should I just leave them alone. Temp is currently about 98 and humidity is around 50% (I've read Muscovy eggs need less humidity particularly as they get closer to hatching.) THANKS!

2. emmaellis111

emmaellis111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    shropshire UK
    If it's chirping I would leave the egg and just see what happens. Have you candled the other eggs to make sure there not infertile and to see if there is an duck inside x

3. dfwnate

dfwnate Just Hatched

Apr 27, 2017
    I haven't candled any of them because I can't tell which is chirping. Should I candle them all?

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under dfwnate [​IMG] Welcome!

Besides the assistance you are getting from emmaellis111 you might want to also post on the Duck Forum just in case emmaellis111 is not back on line for a while: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Alternatively, you could try the Incubating & Hatching Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could ask folks on the "Duck thread." just put that in the search box above and it will come up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by