Help...Please. 3 sick chickens, droopie combs, not eating, purchased safeguard paste, Corid..doses??

mccoopie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
Hi this is my first time posting and I don't even know if I'm doing it right. I have 3 red star hens, 3 years old. One in particular is so thin that I can't feel any muscle, she is weak and the last four days can hardly stand but by God's Grace does. She is much worse than the other two, although they are thin also. All combs are drooping and pale, all have diarrhea, lethargic. I will concentrate on the hen that is really bad. I have been giving her food with eye dropper and sometimes she will eat strawberries and other chopped up fruit by her self but not much. Last week her poop was very little but yellow and green. The green part looked like what I could describe as when a bug eats a green leaf, that color and I thought some whitish round specks like sesame seeds in there too. The hens have never been wormed but when I lost one last year I brought two of them to the vet. Got doses for all of Ivermectin. I was reading some posts a couple of days ago about coccidiosis and ordered some corid liquid 9.6 and safeguard paste. Actually I thought my hen would be gone by today but she is trying so hard to live. No runny noses, they are not molting and are not laying, haven't been for a while, although, when she had layed her last eggs about 2 months ago, the shells had bumps and the surface was rough, not smooth? Can you give me the doses for the corid and the safeguard paste, how long, which one first? I really don't know what I'm doing...I need help so bad...I want her to make it. I have a total of 5 hens, the other two are healthy and laying and very alert. I know I need to treat them all. I've been giving her ground up pellets with some olive oil, Gatorade and yogurt all mixed and given by eyedropper. I figured that a little bit of Gatorade would help with her electrolites, I hope that is ok. Can I give her the corid by eyedropper after I mix up a gallon of water with it for all the chickens? I'm not certain about the Safe Guard paste dose either. Can someone please get back to me ASAP. Please

Welcome to BYC. The dosage of liquid Corid is 2 teaspoonful per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Change it daily, and make it the only water supply. If they are not drinking well, they will need to be given some with a dropper or syringe, or have their beaks dipped into water like a chick. SafeGuard paste dosage is a generous pea-sized amount (or 1/2 ml in a syringe) by mouth (not mixed in water) once, and then repeat in 10 days. Toss eggs for a total of 24 days. Try feeding soft scrambled egg to tempt them to eat, and you can mix a little Corid water in their feed. After Corid is finished, give vitamins and probiotics for about 3 days.

hi Sarah, thank you for replying. Any info is helpful. I'll have to get some garlic, all I have is minced in the jar. I gave some apple cider vinegar the other day. Thanks much

thank you mountain peeps, i'll have my husband pick up a head or two of garlic. I'm starting them on corid in water tomorrow morning. thank you for your extra search on behalf of my post.

Since your chickens are 3 years old, I would probably go ahead and give them a dose of Safe guard (fenbendazole) and start the Corid. If you think those white specks in the poop are tapeworms as Dawg53 has pointed out, you will need to give the SafeGuard for 3 days in a row--is that right Dawg? Again, if you think you have tapeworm, the SafeGuard dosage may need to be increased to 1 ml for 3 days, instead of 1/2 ml for 3 days. Here is a study about it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
Thanks Dawg. Okay, I hope you are not totally confused now. Just go ahead and treat with SafeGuard 1/2 ml for each chicken, start the Corid, and IF you think you may have tapeworm, then when the next dose is due in 10 days, it may be best to use Zimectrin Gold, about $9, versus Valbazen, about $30. Then repeat that in 10 more days with Zimectrin Gold or Valbazen.

hi dawg, I just went to look at her and give her some water. next to her was poop that had those in it (post # 10) although I don't know if it was hers but she is the only one in the coop right now so I guess it is hers. now what, should I give her the safe guard paste? that is all I have? and what should the amount be...1/2 ml or 1 ml. ? Too much won't kill her will it? Like I said she is about 2 lbs now, just skin and bones. the time is 3:49 EST right now, I'll wait by the computer
Those are tapeworm segments. Your hen has tapeworms, now you know why she is sick...skin and bones. Safeguard will not kill tapeworms. Take the safeguard equine paste back where you got it from and swap it out for Zimectrin Gold equine paste. It will kill tapeworms. Here's a pic what it looks like:
Dosage for your 2 pound hen is a small "pea" size amount of the zimectrin gold paste given orally. Redose her again in 10 days.

Hi and I'm sorry about your birds:( Things I do for sick chickens is give them apple cider vinegar in their water (1 tablespoon per gallon) and give them fresh, non-salted garlic as this boosts a chicken's respiratory, immune and digestive system. Also yarrow is healing and calming for chickens. Sorry I probably didn't answer your ?s but hope this helps anyway.

Good luck:)

~Sarah

hi, thank you so much for replying. do I do the corid in water first and then after the time for dosing of 10 days, do I start the safe guard, or can I do them both? Or will I need to do them both? I realize the corid is for parasites and the safeguard is for worms, right?

No problem!
smile.png
Hope they get better soon. Also, about the garlic, if they don't like it raw you can either put dried garlic in their feed or a broken up clove of garlic in their water along with the vinegar.

Hi again! I was just doing some research for your hens. I found that as long as it is fresh, un pasteurized and not salted, minced garlic can also be fed.

Back
Top Bottom