HELP PLEASE!!!!! 3 Sick Chickens now :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wjallen05, Jan 7, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    About a month ago, I got 2 "pullets" from someone. One of the pullets died suddenly about a week after getting them, and the other pullet which is actually a cockerel, always acted funny but starting looking sick last week so I moved him to a seperate pin. Today, one of my Barred Rock pullets and also my Cuckoo Maran rooster both have the same cloudy/runny eyes like the cockerel has. [​IMG] [​IMG]

WHAT DO I DO??

ETA: the *only* symptoms are runny/cloudy eyes. No discharge or swelling. The cockerel is making strange noises. I have another thread on that, but here is a video of him...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v672/WJTH05/Chickens/?action=view&current=SickRoo.flv

*I think it's either Infectious Bronchitis or NewCastle Disease?

*ETA* I did just notice a tiny bit of clear disharge from the nostril and some caughing

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I don't know what to tell you but here is a bump!

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awww that poor boy!!! Sounds and looks like what i had going on with my babies, thought it was coccidosis but turns out it wasn't. I treated them with sulmet for 6 days even tho some didn't show signs of being sick i treated all that were exposed to the chick who did have symptoms.

ETA: was his eye like that before he fell ill?

4. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    No, he was breathing funny and then his eye got like that. It doesn't look as bad now, but it is runny. So are the other 2 and DH just imformed me that my favorite hen now has the runny eye too.

Should I treat with Albon or Antibiotics (what kind, how much, where to find?) or both? I have Albon on hand.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have never heard of albon, I used sulmet you can usually find it at your feed mill or TSC. Dosage is 2 tablespoons per gallon for the first 2 days and if symptoms aren't getting better by then i would treat for an additional 4 days @ 1 tbsp per gallon.

6. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Actually I have both Sulmet and Albon. I use it on my goats. I bought Sulmet first, and then after reading that Albon is much more effective, I purchased a gallon of that.
    I'm affraid what they have though is something bad and will need to be culled.
    [​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    is this the same chicken flock as this thread too?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=119312

you can treat them, but they could still be carriers later. keep your new chicks away and do not handle them after being around the sick birds.

i personally do not treat, i cull. weak birds do my flock no good. i want the strongest and healthiest.

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Do they have a horrible smell coming from their heads? IF so it sounds like Infectious Coryza. Bubbly eyes, gurgling, discharge, crusty face, swelling, and a horrible stink are some Coryza symptoms.

9. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    no, there's no smell at all. some of them do have dierreah. oh, and no swelling either.

yes, same flock.

10. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I am having this same problem....except I really dont want to cull....I have not lost any but their eyes are swollen and bubbly....we also have goats and we have to treat them all the time so I dont know.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by