Help please! 4 week old silver cochin is queezy and breathing heavy.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NightsInWhiteSilkies, Nov 4, 2011.

1. NightsInWhiteSilkies

NightsInWhiteSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2011
    okay i have a 3 silver cochins and their 4 weeks old. the middle one started having running stools yesterday. now she is congested and queezy.
    i just as of an hour ago put in vitamin drops to the water.
    their on baby medicated food and water so far.
    i just went and bought raw pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and fresh watermelon,snow peas and grapes but have not given it to them except for a half of a grape.
    someone told me to lower their heat that was at 85-90degrees as of the past week since ive had them down to 80 so i did. it was at 77 at one point today. i bumped it back up to about 82 when i heard her queezing.
    what can i do? is there something i can go buy to help her out tonight?
    she is really queezy and her breathing is really heavy breaths. i really dont want to sit and see if she dies if i can do more to help her out. i dont think maybe this is for me as its alot for me to digest and maybe i should of tried reading more info about them before getting some. i havent lowered their heat until today thinking it was too cold for them as all they do is cuddle each other and around the lamp above them since yesterday and their puffy up and the one i thought was shivering but was told that the feathers will puff up when their cold.
    any help is so very appreciated. thankyou!!!

edited to add--- i did give them some scrambled egg tonight too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    At 4 weeks they should be around 75 degrees; you reduce 5 degrees a week. They should also have enough space to get away from the heat if they want to.

3. NightsInWhiteSilkies

Nov 3, 2011
    Okay so the only place open tonight was petsmart. I bought some ornacycline/tetracycline. Is this okay to give to chicks. It does say all birds but want to make sure. It says it helps with respiratory and intestinal bacterial infections in birds and am hoping it will help with her diarhea and also her heavy queezy breathing.
    yes? no? thankyou!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  4. NightsInWhiteSilkies

Nov 3, 2011
    I just went to go check on her and I dont think she is going to make it. She is now gasping for air and opening her beak wide to breath and is very congested. I live in Vancouver washington and dont have a clue on how to give injections. Is there anyone at this hour I could pay to come give her some kind of antibiotic or something? Anyone?????

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yes, the tetracycline is fine, but if you are going to put it in their water, you can't put it in the same water as the vitamins, so you need to change to poly vi sol vitamin drops without iron, because you give that directly in the beak, not in the water. But, it does sound like the one may be too far along to save... [​IMG] As far as heat goes, if they are huddled under the heat lamp, and puffed up, they need the heat, don't rely on "guidelines", rely on what your chicks are telling you.

I would check with the source where you got the chicks, it sounds like they came to you with some kind of upper respiratory infection.

6. NightsInWhiteSilkies

Nov 3, 2011
    Ahhh, Thankyou for your reply!
    Itook the vitamin water out and put that tetracyline in to replace it. I did give her drops twice now within the past half hour and have put her by her food and she is eating the scrambled egg and some baby medicine food.
    The chicks were bought from a chicken farm out in Battleground. The woman has over 500 chickens. They were healthy and sound when I got them over a week and a half ago.
    I think I created her to get ill.
    I had the heat lamp up to yesterday at about 90-95 degrees. They would play and run around. Then dropped it starting yesterday to about 85-87 then today dropped it today to as low at 77. All 3 wouldnt move from under the lamp which is hanging from my ceiling.
    I have upped it again and now its at 85 which they seem to be comfy there.
    I think I might of created her getting ill due to upping then lowering the heat lamp and her little body couldnt take it.
    I am hopeing that medicine will kick in tonight and then where do you recommend I take her tomorrow to see if theyll give her an injection of medicine?
    Thankyou so much for your help and all who have helped me. I really am appreciative of all of it and am a newbie learning quickly about taking care of baby chicks and its overwhelming me a bit but wont give up as they are sooooooo cute little buggers!
    Thankyou!!!

7. NightsInWhiteSilkies

Nov 3, 2011
    She didnt make it.
    Im bummed! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by