HELP PLEASE,, ADDED INFORMATION. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fllpunk, May 31, 2010.

1. fllpunk

fllpunk In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    This just started like 3 hrs ago. She ate and ran around fine all day today.
    Link goes to video:

*UPDATED WITH 2 MORE VIDEOS*

What has been asked (and answered):

1. How hot is it , we're in North Florida, its 90 out there right now, high humidity.

2. The comb is rosy and red, hasn't changed color since I got her, not purple by any means.

3. Nothing is coming from the nostrils they are nice and dry.

4. Periodically after honking (or making the noise you hear on the vid) she does seem like she sneezes.

5. Have not felt for an egg, not sure how.

UPDATE TUESDAY 2:00AM

Hey guys thank you for the responses. A person who sold me a different bird saw her in lieu of a vet on memorial day. She suggested that after the rains (and we have had rains ) that maybe she contracted a little infection. Dalilah got a shot of 1cc Tylan 50 while I get her to the vet tomorrow. I checked on here about 6 hrs later in her pen and she doesnt seem to be getting better (is that too soon?) She seems like she honks and then takes a long deep breath through her mouth. I still cannot detect any sort of fluid coming from her nose. But her breathing does sound more labored.

Re: the crop. I was mistaken about the feel and the last poster nailed it. It feels like a bean bag and after touching some of the other birds I understand what it should feel like. Its not balloon like.

1) What was she doing when you first noticed her gasping, and how long ago.
    Noticed her today in the early aft, she was just hanging out in the yard being Dalilah

2) Had she just eaten/drink
    Yes and Yes

3) Has she always been a laxidasical bird, active but kind of more quiet than the rest.
    She's always been friendly since I raised her but today she is letting me handle her like shes got nothing to lose. Before I would have to reach to grab her now she just stands there, definitely a change of behavior. Again, just starting at about 1pm.

4) Do you hear rattling in her breathing
    Hard to describe but yes, either a slight rattle or a gurgly sound. Its more of like if you honk on an exhale and take deep loud breaths through your mouth. Akin to a snore followed by a deep mouth breath. Long and paused.

5) How old is she
    5months

6) How many and how long have you had birds that are related to her.
    None related to her. A new group of 3 chicks from different moms added about a week ago. They are fine, though I guess I failed the most important test. Quarantine.

7) Are any of the others showing symptoms
    No.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    How hot is it there?

3. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    it looks like she is having trouble breathing... I could be wrong... does she have a pea comb? if so is it purple?

does she sound like she rattles with a chest cold?

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Is she sneezing? (Sorry, it's noisy here so I can't hear the video well.) Is there anything coming out of her nostrils? I've had some get a respiratory thing (like a cold, I guess) and sneeze off and on for a few days and then go back to normal. If there's anything coming out of her nostrils I'd lean more towards an infection and maybe meds, but if she's just sneezing I'd keep an eye on her. Keep her near food and water and you could give her some scrambled eggs or yogurt for extra energy, too. Keep her warm and calm and hopefully if it's just a cold it will pass soon.

5. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Well, I dont think panic is a good idea- we make mistakes when we panic [​IMG] I dont have personal experience with either of these scenarios, but I've done alot of reading just in case I need to be able to recognise different symptoms- Try a search on Gapeworm, she might be showing some signs, like the gasping and beak being open. Next try a search on mites, they can congregate on the ears and beak area and I think a chicken will shake their head to try to relieve the itching. Personally, I'm leaning towards gapeworm. I hope its nothing serious and you can help her with a home remedy. Feel her crop for hardening in case its a crop issue.

Good luck and I hope she is ok and better very soon.

6. fllpunk

fllpunk In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    OK:

How hot is it , we're in North Florida, its 90 out there right now, high humidity.

The comb is rosy and red, hasn't changed color since I got her, not purple by any means.

Nothing is coming from the nostrils they are nice and dry.

Periodically after honking (or making the noise you hear on the vid) she does seem like she sneezes.

Ill try to take a better video. Thank you all for your advise.

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    She definitely seems sick with something. In addition to the above mentioned questions, is her crop squishy like a water balloon? Does her breath smell rancid/acidy? If you want to take her to the vet, there may be an emergency vet clinic nearby that works the off hours.

8. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Songster

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    have you felt for an egg inside her? the opening of the beak could be expained from the heat, but the sounds of pain, not sure.

9. fllpunk

fllpunk In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Gainesville, fl
    More videos:
    She closes her eyes when shes breathing. The crop, it does feel squishy, however, I put my nose to her beak (easy since shes breathing out of it most of the time) and cannot smell anything bad. or pungent. or sour. but the crop IS squishy.
    UPclose video:

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I am inclined to lean towards gape worm also. You need to get her some ivermectin to start with.

If that doesn't work within 24 hours then you need to look at upper respiratory disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by