Help please anyone...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lydia2013, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Lydia2013

Lydia2013 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    My baby chick hatched Sunday morning, It looked like it had unabsorbed yolk and some of the shell was still attached. The poor little thing had no energy and was rolling around on its back. I was told to leave it in the incubator until the part on its bottom dried up and fell off. On Monday the chick was much more energetic and was moving around the incubator a lot, however it wasn't able to get to its feet, its feet are curled and the chick doesn't seem to straighten them. The poor thing was still dragging the shell around Monday night so I decided to snip off the part connecting the chick to the shell which was all dried up. And there was no presence of blood thank god. So after I did that I placed the chick into my brooder along with my other chicks as it seemed to be sitting under the fan in my incubator which made me think it was too warm for it in there, however the other chicks started pecking at its bottom, so I quickly divided my brooder so the weak chick wouldn't be bothered by the others. He was doing fine until I went out to check on it this morning and now he looks even weaker and barely no movement. I even got it to drink some water when I first placed it in the brooder on Monday. Below are pictures of when it first hatched and a picture I took this morning. Please give me any advice you can I really want to keep this little chick alive if I can...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks to me like that stuff hanging out of it was more than unabsorbed yolk--maybe its intestines or another organ. Did the chick hatch on time (after roughly 21 days of incubation)? Sometimes staying in the egg longer, or a draggy hatch, can cause deformities and curled toes. You can try to correct the curled toes with a chick shoe (try searching the internet for info on this); the toes may get better without help, or never become normal.

To help the chick get stronger, mix some sugar into its water, along with some chick electrolytes (I use some called sav-a-chic), if possible. Dip its beak in the water or use an eyedropper to get it to drink. Try to get it to eat some solid food, too; good treats include scrambled eggs, applesauce, or moistened chick feed.

If the protrusion was more than just yolk, the chick may have internal damage. If that is the case, it may never recover. But I wish you luck with it! Its very adorable! [​IMG]

3. Lydia2013

Lydia2013 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Thank you for your advice. However 20 minutes after posting this thread the chick died. I did get it to drink some sugar water but it didn't help [​IMG] I kept it warm under a heat lamp, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. The chick hatched exactly on day 21, I had other chicks hatch the same day and they are all fine. The bulge at its bottom was a lot bigger on Sunday but it shrunk a lot which made me think it was unabsorbed yolk. But however I could of been wrong. [​IMG] I hate loosing a little chick.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]I, too, hate losing chicks, but sometimes there is nothing you can do to save them.

1 person likes this.
  5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    looks like a "helped" to hatch chick.

6. Heidisgran

Heidisgran Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    the issues with the newly hatched chick sound like the temps during hatching were too high....
    look up the "brinsea" web site they have a wonderful incubation trouble guide

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by