1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help please! Assisted hatching is turning to yolk disaster!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hfrey, Sep 23, 2015.

1. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    I have read the articles on here about assisted hatching and what to do about a yolk the has not absorbed all the way. I had to assist a chick this morning and to my surpris e(no bloo) the chick had its yolk still out (dime size) so I put it in a damp cloth in a bowl only to return 6 hours later and it had moved its way out and had even more smelly , yucky yolk out! Now it's drying and has burst! The poor baby is in a mug still chirping and moving slowly but is breathing slowly. Is there anyway to save this little baby? He's really weak and I want to save him!

2. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Wish I could tell you. You are doing what I would suggest. Good luck,!

3. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Can u post a pic? Do u have any save a chick or nutridrench? Is there any yolk left? Depending where it burst, you may be able to tie it off. Is it bleeding or just yolk?

4. Pooman

Pooman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sorry, no help from me... Other than the words, be strong. Do the right thing. Something isn't right if the little guy can't hatch out... (You haven't been opening the lid have you?)... So steel yourself. You gonna have to do the deed.

I tried helping a few times. Now I just watch and cheer them on. You really don't want sickly chooks bred into your flock

5. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    The baby ended up dying:( but I have two new baby chicks that hatch and have so much energy

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am sorry the chick died. But, for this very reason I no longer help chicks that can't hatch of their own.

7. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Awesome! Sorry for the loss though. Always a tough call. I assist hatches, many make it, some don't.
    Have fun with your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by