HELP PLEASE Baby chick deformed foot

MichelleRenee77

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 27, 2014
We just received our baby chicks in the mail. One of them has a deformed or broken foot. I need to know if there is anything I can do for it. It doesn’t look like the curled toes that I have seen as a problem. Please see pics and video. I cannot figure out how to attach the video. 😩 Thank you for any advice you can give.

EB174C72-FEE9-4F1B-AE6C-3DF572826854.jpeg
CE3C79E3-0F35-4C5A-9F8F-82DEAA51B6A5.jpeg
3A284B06-F501-4EC9-8706-4C296D783CB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Believe it or not, I had everything needed to make a second coop to put the chick by herself. I made her a shoe and a band with vet tape to keep her legs together more so her leg wouldn’t splay out. She keeps pecking at the shoe and brace, but she stands up a lot better. How long before she is ready to go without the brace and shoe?

The tape on the foot can be left in place for 2 days, and you can remove it to check if it is helping. If the toes are still crooked, then put is back on for another day or two.

Thank you so much. Do I need to buy special vitamins? If it is a pill, how do I give it to her? She puts her leg out to the side a lot. The leg itself looks fine. The ankle joint looks a little bigger and the toes don’t seem like she has control of them like the other foot. Thank you so much for the help! I uploaded the video - my first one ever! I hope this helps. The company said it may be dislocated from hatching. Do I need to separate her once I put on all the helps? I don’t want the other chicks to hurt her.

I just hatched a chick with this issue. Taping the foot for a half day flattened the toes and holding her so that her leg was in the proper position for about five minutes several times a day for three days did the trick. She was as good as new after that. Also, it really seemed to help that I used a Brinsea brooder so that when the chick scooted under, her leg was in a normal position.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom